Menu

Any Physician's Assistants here or have children pursuing this degree? x-posted to College Board

Lisa R.

My dd is in 11th grade and would like to be a physician's assistant. When we look at college websites, it says the student can have any sort of bachelor's degree from an accredited school plus the prerequisites required for PA school. However, we've heard it is better to have a science major. Pursing a science major would likely include most of the PA prerequisites anyway.

Dd really likes chemistry. However, it looks like one needs a high GPA--usually around 3.7, in order to be accepted into PA school. I wonder if it makes more sense to pursue a major that's a little easier to get the 3.7 GPA rather than a chemistry major. That sort of thinking just seems so...wrong, yet these science graduate degrees are hard programs to gain admittance.

Also, can anyone recommend a school that combines undergraduate and graduate degrees for physician's assistant?

My dad has a degree in chemistry from U of MI. All I can say is that it was a very challenging degree to compete. On the other hand she loved every moment of it. Since your dad is in 11th grade, I would suggest AP Chem for next year to see how she likes the work load and math intensity as it is more challenging than standard high school chemistry. She can declare the major for college applications but since she is not likely to be offered departmental scholarships until after she completes her freshman year of prerequisites, she could change her mind and choose a related major like biology,

Another good option would be a BSRN. Psychology would also be useful with a biology minor.

My dad has a degree in chemistry from U of MI. All I can say is that it was a very challenging degree to compete. On the other hand she loved every moment of it. Since your dad is in 11th grade, I would suggest AP Chem for next year to see how she likes the work load and math intensity as it is more challenging than standard high school chemistry. She can declare the major for college applications but since she is not likely to be offered departmental scholarships until after she completes her freshman year of prerequisites, she could change her mind and choose a related major like biology,

Another good option would be a BSRN. Psychology would also be useful with a biology minor.

She is taking AP chemistry this year and doing well. It's her favorite class and while she works hard at it, it makes sense to her and she has a 97 or 98 average. The chemistry teacher told me this class is harder than non science major college chemistry class but not as hard a science major college chemistry.

Has she considered becoming a nurse practioner?  A lot of the job descriptions are the same, but there are far more nursing programs than PA programs.

She hasn't ruled this out. I think she would prefer PA, though.

I mentioned the possibility of a nursing BSN as an undergraduate degree, but someone in the nursing profession said that PA school may not look favorable on this degree. Is this true? I'm wondering if it would look like PA degree was a "second choice" next to nursing. I don't know.

Also, can anyone recommend a school that combines undergraduate and graduate degrees for physician's assistant?

My son is now a PA from Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT in Upper State NY) which does have a combined undergraduate/graduate degree program.  It is a packed, defined program (very few electives). I believe it is fairly competitive (like all PA schools)--there were a total of 30 in his graduating class of 2017.

He (and we) are very happy with the route he took.  

Edited to add:  PAs have their own boards to pass (after graduation) and getting hired was a matter of interest and compatibility.

Edited by vmsurbat