Menu

Iowa Test - Form E vs. Form C

Vintage81

Has anyone used Form E of the Iowa Test? If so, do you know how it compares to Form C? My understanding is that Form E is more Common Core aligned, but I was curious if the questions and formatting were different. Have any new sections been added, or have any sections been dropped?

Edited by Vintage81

We just finished ours. We went with form a, but I found the changes to look over. For me is common core aligned. It drops reference materials and maps, replacing it with “critical thinking.†The math section is changed to align with common core. I don’t think science or social studies was changed. I can’t remember the language changes, but I remember thinking that they were insignificant compared to the math.

• Like 2

If I recall correctly, a friend used the newer IOWA, which is the one you are referring to, and there was a math concept in her 5th grader's test that her 8th grader hadn't even covered yet.  Something statistics related. We use Math in Focus (Singapore) and I went to look in ours and it wasn't covered until 7th I think.  

What is the "critical thinking" section like Syllieann?

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

I used the newer one last year and it was horrible.  My daughter did so well but it was awfully long and just ridiculous!!  I may switch away from Iowa next year, because the hours and hours were not worth it.  I didn't know what I was buying and thought it was going to be the same as her 2nd grade test and it was awful.  A neighbor gave her kids the other version and I looked at theirs and was blown away at how much easier it seemed.  

• Like 1

If I recall correctly, a friend used the newer IOWA, which is the one you are referring to, and there was a math concept in her 5th grader's test that her 8th grader hadn't even covered yet. Something statistics related. We use Math in Focus (Singapore) and I went to look in ours and it wasn't covered until 7th I think.

What is the "critical thinking" section like Syllieann?

We went with the older version, so I haven’t seen the critical thinking questions. I scoured the web trying to find some examples before we decided, but I came up with very little.

• Like 1

I used the newer one last year and it was horrible.  My daughter did so well but it was awfully long and just ridiculous!!  I may switch away from Iowa next year, because the hours and hours were not worth it.  I didn't know what I was buying and thought it was going to be the same as her 2nd grade test and it was awful.  A neighbor gave her kids the other version and I looked at theirs and was blown away at how much easier it seemed.  

Did you maybe do the version that includes the CogAT? We did the CogAT last year in addition to the core IOWA and it added another two or three hours. The CogAT was not required though. I want to say that I accidentally ordered it but then it was helpful because it can identify strengths and weaknesses. We will not do the CogAT again this year.  

It looks like the Form E drops maps and diagrams and Reference materials but includes these sections for grades 3-8 (I am not seeing critical thinking?):

Reading (2 parts), Written Expression, Mathematics (2 parts), Vocabulary, Spelling, Capitalization, Punctuation, Computation, Science, Social Studies, Word Analysis (Level 9 only), Listening (Level 9 only) 

https://itp.education.uiowa.edu/ia/documents/Research-Guide-Form-E-F.pdf

Okay so now this is got me thinking because I have been using the IOWA Form A (which is what Seton sells) but I could go with BJU and do the Form C.  Is there an advantage to sticking with the same form for multiple years? Does anyone know?

• Like 1

Okay so now this is got me thinking because I have been using the IOWA Form A (which is what Seton sells) but I could go with BJU and do the Form C.  Is there an advantage to sticking with the same form for multiple years? Does anyone know?

I was wondering something similar. My oldest DD has taken the test the past two years using Form C, so I'm curious how I'll compare her previous year with this year's test if she uses Form E. (Our homeschool group is administering the test and they decided to make the switch this year.) 

Last year I also used the Scoring High test prep book, which was really helpful. I was going to use that again this year for my younger DD, who will be taking the test for the first time, but the format of the book lines up more to Form C. BJU Press offers really small practice tests for Form E, but that's about all I can find. I really wanted to prepare her for this test because she's already kind of freaked out about it, so I'm kind of bummed there's not much out there for Form E.  :sad:

I think forms a, b, and c are just different versions of the same test. I don’t think a vs c will be a difference.

Brewer testing has form E available in case anyone is looking for a place to order from. https://brewertesting.com//

We just got our results back and there is a ciritical thinking score even though we didn’t do a section titled “critical thinking.†It has subscores for the different academic fields, so I think it is just integrated into the other areas. That is probably why there is no section titled, “critical thinking†on form E either.