Menu

Geometry--which program?

I am trying to select a geometry program. I don't see great options for my situation.

I have one kid with limited tolerance for math generally. If it were just him, I think I would use Teaching Textbooks. 

But his twin is more math oriented, and I don't want to shut down future STEM options for him with a weak geometry. I think, from reading, this eliminates Teaching Textbooks and even Saxon? 

I also don't have hours to spend with them on math. I don't think paid providers are financially feasible, especially given I would need to do that x 2. Also, I would like to learn this along with the kids. 

I hate the idea of trying to teach the kids two different geometry programs, but I guess I could if I had to. This would take even more time out of our day, and we're struggling as is. 

1. So I need something that will lead me through it as teacher, with solutions included. This is probably most important. 

2. I need something that won't suck all the time from our day or wilt my kids, either one. 

3. I need something that won't shut possible STEM doors, should one of mine decide to go that direction. I think this child is more Algebra oriented though, I don't think geometry will be his love. 

If not too pricey, maybe teaching these two kids with the same program is foolish. 

Are they getting to a point where they can work independently at all? Especially w/ TT. Isn't the latest version set up that way? Maybe you just correct the tests? 

I would try to use different programs for them, but that's easy for me to say. 

Angie

whose children did two math books per subject, w/ the exception of one child who did three for one year

• Like 1

My dd is strong in math and she used TT for geometry and we were very pleased with it.  She did work the proofs out on paper.  

I may try this. I was just concerned it might limit the more math oriented kid, though at this time I think he's more likely to select a business rather than STEM field. 

Are they getting to a point where they can work independently at all? Especially w/ TT. Isn't the latest version set up that way? Maybe you just correct the tests? 

I would try to use different programs for them, but that's easy for me to say. 

Angie

whose children did two math books per subject, w/ the exception of one child who did three for one year

I'm not opposed to teaching two different programs, I'm just concerned about the time it would take.

The less math inclined child isn't independent in math. He would be the one I would select for TT without hesitation. I would probably still have to sit with him. 

I assume the other child, if I select a more rigorous program and try to self teach, would need me as well even though he's independent now. Partly, or mostly, this is because I don't expect geometry to be his strength. What program would you pick for him? 

Edited by sbgrace

I may try this. I was just concerned it might limit the more math oriented kid, though at this time I think he's more likely to select a business rather than STEM field. 

I'm not opposed to teaching two different programs, I'm just concerned about the time it would take.

The less math inclined child isn't independent in math. He would be the one I would select for TT without hesitation. I would probably still have to sit with him. 

I assume the other child, if I select a more rigorous program and try to self teach, would need me as well even though he's independent now. What program would you pick for him. 

I was only chiming in hoping an independent program for at least one could help things. I've been out of the loop for a while now wrt math programs. I'm a dinosaur. Really.

Mine used TT and Saxon (older editions that had a ton of geometry throughout the books, but I still had them do two geometry books), and we used Jacobs geometry. I will say this: my dc scored very high on the math section of the SAT, ACT, etc. I didn't choose a book for high test scores, and believe me when I tell you there was no love for Saxon by my children, but it served them well. (Neither are STEM majors, if that matters to you.) Oh, and  my kids were required to do proofs. 

AoPS is a newer darling and might challenge yours in the way he needs. 

Nothing wrong w/ your being nearby but I get the time crunch. You're wise not to skimp on math.

Edited by Angie in VA

We used Derek Owens for Geometry. I was pleased with it. We would go over the practice problems together, but Derek Owens grades the HW sheets he gives them (a couple of problems every few lessons) and he grades all the tests.

They're all pre-recorded videos, so easy to do on your schedule. Derek or a TA is available pretty quickly if you have a question

Just as an aside... my son is currently using TT Geometry. He writes everything out, and is independent with it. And my daughter is currently using AOPS Geometry. I at first thought it wa silly to have them both in different programs at the same time. But it is working out great. And worth the money because each of them has the right program for their needs.