Menu

PA homeschoolers APUSH

DS has Mr Burns for uEcon.  He loves that the class is very organized and the whole set of assignments is laid out at the start.  Scores from people who have taken the class do seem to be quite high, so clearly there's something good going on.

Dr Richman, who taught the MacroEcon class, is possibly his favorite teacher OF ALL TIME, so there's high interest her in finding out if Mrs. Richman is anything like her husband.

• 10 months later...

My son had Mrs. Richman for APUSH.  Wow, what a fantastic teacher.  I would give her and A+++++!  Several students even nominated her for National History Teacher of the Year.  She loves her job and is SOOOO enthusiastic with a warm personality. She is also super organized and on top of things all the time. My son got a 5 but loves US history and did not mind the huge chunks of time he had to devote to this class. Students put in well and beyond what is required for a normal class.  We are from a part of the country that is religious and conservative.  PA Homeschoolers is secular and may or may not be what you are looking for.  But Mrs. Richman is very careful to be respectful of ALL views in the class.  This was my son's first exposure to A LOT of students who think very differently than he. And also his first experience in the political minority. And I believe that many of the liberal outspoken students (from CA and NY) had never had a friend or even exposure to another person with a conservative point of view.  It was a very good learning experience and allowed for interesting discussion, but I'm not sure he could handle that much hostility each year. If you student takes the College Board US History test, I would recommend taking it in May, not June.  The June date is a few weeks after the AP test and my son was so thankful he did not have to continue to study well into the summer. But beware...the test is from a VERY biased, one-sided perspective, which may or may not help your score, depending on your political mindset. Very controversial topics go with a liberal slant.  My son scored pretty well but also said if you must think as the most liberal person you know for 2 hours.  Had we known just how biased this test is, I'm not sure he would have taken it.  But as far as Mrs. Richman goes, an outstanding teacher whom I highly recommend.