Menu

Open-ended Science

sweetpea3829

This year, and for the next couple of years, I'm switching to an open-ended inquiry approach to science.  I'm letting them choose a topic each month to learn about.  We'll use library books, DVDs, the internet, etc.  The only restriction is that it must be a life science topic because we've done years of earth science, lol.  

So what ideas would you suggest for output here?  A science notebook?  We've done lapbooks for the past few years and I like them well enough, but this will be different as all four kids will be choosing their own topics.  I won't have the time to assist with FOUR different lapbook topics.  

I want the oldest two to engage in some research and demonstration of the scientific method.  I want the youngest two to primarily explore, perhaps with some projects thrown in.  

Ages...

12, 11

10, 9 (will be 10 and 9 during the science semester).  

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  

Thanks for the suggestions!

They are going to do a science fair project with our homeschool co-op.  At least I think so anyways, lol.  I've got to get on that, because come to think of it, I think that's due the end of March.  

I like the suggestion of just going with what they ask for, but I'm already fielding things such as, "Oh Mom, I want to study snakes.  Can I buy a python?!"  

That would be negatory.  LOL!  

I really like this old series for this type of science, though the set ups take prep work, that's what they are - extremely open ended. Not like TOPS or task cards or any curriculum or science project book I've seen:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=boston+children%27s+museum+activity+books

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about output. Maybe you can have a really simple notebooking type page or two for them to fill out when you finish or along the way? What did I learn? What was something I had another question about? What was something that surprised me? Etc. I think the output piece can get in the way, honestly. Though, you could also just have them do science fair style projects over and over. If so, the projects on Science Buddies are good for getting some ideas.

• Like 1