Menu

IP or rice cooker

nevergiveup

I have a rice cooker and an IP. The rice cooker is now in a cabinet, while the IP is on the counter...used a lot. We are vegan so use it for brown, purple, wild, white rices and for quinoa and other grains as well. You can put away your stove top pressure cooker with an IP: the dried beans, peas, lentils are the bomb.

• Like 1

I will be honest and say most weeks my IP is only used for making rice and potatoes but it is used most days for one or the other. I even bought an extra pot liner because I needed one. I don’t have a great deal of cupboard or counter space but am happy to give space to th IP because I actually use it. I have used it for beans etc successfully. The best thing about it is it can do more if needed. Love it!

My dh has been happily referring to the IP as my fancy rice cooker;) so when we priced rice cookers we were surprised to discover I didn’t spend much more but actually have something that can do so much more.

• Like 1

I've never owned a rice cooker, but the IP makes great rice. I'd go with the IP because it can do all you asked and more :).

What she said :D Arctic Mama is right that some rices take a little fiddling, but usually, once I get something straight, I add it directly into my recipe database so I never have to fiddle again. And actually, I usually go to the FB group and search for BTDT advice, so fiddling ends up being minimal. 

I love my IP. I don't use it as often as I used to, but I still wouldn't be without it again. If I had space, I'd have two!

I prefer an actual rice cooker for rice, it’s a lot less error prone than the instant pot, what can take some fiddling to get different rices just right.

What rice cooker do you have?  And it has different settings for all these different rices?

I have cooked rice on the stove in a pot for years.  It usually boils over regardless of the pot I use. 

That's a pain in the behind, but at least I am forced to clean my stove, which isn't a bad thing!

Thanks for all the replies!  I am still torn--I like that the IP is versatile but I also like that a  rice cooker apparently does rice very well.

• Like 1