Menu

How much time for read alouds?

SunshineMom

Two hours has been suggested however what counts? Does listening to story tapes count as reading? Is it the hearing of writing or the visual of a book being read that matters or is both okay? I am curious for I do not seem to get more than an 1.25-1.5 in a day with an actual book in hand. However, my children probably hear about 2hrs of story tapes in the evening (in bed before retiring). Thoughts?

In my ideal homeschool it would be at least 1.5 hours (45 in the morning and 45 in the afternoon). However, 45 minutes is about all that we can manage of read aloud time. I have an additional dilemma as I have a voice disorder. I am good now, but when it is bad I really struggle.

I have found that the read aloud is one of the most important parts of our school day even for the high schooler.

If you're finding the time to get in 1.5 hrs/day, that's great! We require the our DS9 to read himself daily (as part of assigned school work) 30 minutes of "fun" reading (meaning, it's his choice, and boy does he pick some winners - ugh!), and 30 minutes of "assigned" reading (these are either classics, biographies, historical fiction, or historical non-fiction. They are often based on which history chapter we're reading that week.). Additionally, I do a read aloud at bedtime for about 30 minutes which is for optional listening. My DS9 usually listens, but sometimes chooses not to. Also, we do always have an audio story playing in our car, so whenever we're off to gymnastics, church, swimming, etc., we are listening to a story there as well. I usually make those some type of classic, historical fiction or just plain good literature. In the car, we recently finished a few of the Anne of Green Gables series, and have just began the Chronicles of Naria series starting chronologially with The Magician's Nephew.

I think there a few skills happening when listening to BOT, and so I think books on tape count in many ways. Obviously they aren't building their own reading skills - that picture to sight to brain recognition, to interpretation and comprehension system isn't being used. However, they ARE having to hear a story at a "normal" pace (unlike TV that flashes so quickly from scene to scene). This leaves time for comprehension and consideration to happen. We even stop the tape sometimes to discuss something we just heard. Also, they are hearing (if chosen well) sentences that are well structured and perhaps even sophisticated. This is something that can take getting used to if you're not already, and is like eating a healthy diet for your imagination and your store of grammar usage. I also like the fact that good books usually don't include SLANG. That way, you're child isn't being exposed to (and normalizing) obnoxious, annoying or rude phrases. Another of my thoughts on this is that once the child has HEARD the story (like Anne of Green Gables for instance), when I eventually require them to READ it, it will make more sense, and perhaps they will be able to consider it in a deeper sense as they're reading it.

So although I don't think audio books should completely replace reading, I think they are heathful, a great way to pass time, a great imagination provoker, a great tool for creating a base of literature, a great way to accessorize other subjects (like history), etc. So don't give up your BOT, OK?

I think you're getting plenty of time in. Good luck, and hope that helps....

- Stacey in MA

I don't think of it as quite so regimented. I have a book that I read to the kids at breakfast. It is always something fun. I read lots of history books outloud to the kids during the school day (some days more than others). Dh has a book going with the kids in the evening. His usually are biographies or something like that although not related to our studies. I don't know what the total is each day-it varies, but I'm sure it adds up.