Menu

nm

Ann.without.an.e

I just read this and decided that my third grader isn't quite ready for it yet...especially the vampire/sex chapter.

Wendy

Yes, I disliked it.

I was so excited to get it when it first came out because I'd read his adult version.  This version simply has a few things removed and reworded, and examples that aren't appropriate for the 8-12 set were left in (specifically the vampire chapter).  Not to mention the examples were from Hemingway and the like, which is great, but why not use examples the targeted set might have read? 

I decided by the time my boys were ready for it, they might as well read the adult version.

• Like 2

Yes, I disliked it.

I was so excited to get it when it first came out because I'd read his adult version.  This version simply has a few things removed and reworded, and examples that aren't appropriate for the 8-12 set were left in (specifically the vampire chapter).  Not to mention the examples were from Hemingway and the like, which is great, but why not use examples the targeted set might have read? 

I decided by the time my boys were ready for it, they might as well read the adult version.

I guess we need to complete a book next time before making a post.  ugh  He has enjoyed it so far but we aren't finished with it.

This is good to know.

• Like 1

Said the enabler...  :smilielol5:

Just don't go look at the vintage book threads... bwa-ha-ha-ha  :leaving:

"Anthologies: The Children's Hour vs Young Folks' Library vs ?"

"Old unknown book treasures/favorites -- let's create a list"

Yes, I wondered if someone would pick up on that  :lol:

• Like 1

I guess we need to complete a book next time before making a post.  ugh  He has enjoyed it so far but we aren't finished with it.

This is good to know.

I'd definitely pre-read the vampire chapter.  Like I said, I really enjoyed his adult version, so maybe I expected more from the kids' version since I had just finished the adult version when the kids' version came out.  

• Like 1

I just read this and decided that my third grader isn't quite ready for it yet...especially the vampire/sex chapter.

Wendy

Yes, I disliked it.

Weirdest thing ever, somehow we managed to skip the vampire chapter and I have no idea how we did this?  He has read it all aloud to me (and I was listening so I didn't just miss it  :lol: ).  But somehow we managed to dodge that bullet and accidentally skip it.  I am perplexed.  I am reading it now, alone, and no I wouldn't want him reading it.  Thank ya'll so much for the heads up, I need to pre-read the rest of this book before we read more.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 2

Weirdest thing ever, somehow we managed to skip the vampire chapter and I have no idea how we did this?  He has read it all aloud to me (and I was listening so I didn't just miss it  :lol: ).  But somehow we managed to dodge that bullet and accidentally skip it.  I am perplexed.  I am reading it now, alone, and no I wouldn't want him reading it.  Thank ya'll so much for the heads up, I need to pre-read the rest of this book before we read more.

That's funny!  :lol:

• Like 1