Menu

Books dealing with death, grief or loss

mumto3girls

I'm sorry for your loss.

Bridge to Terabithia is a good one. In fact the author wrote it after one of her children had a classmate who died in early elementary school. But it might be hard for you to read so soon after your friend's death. If it were me I would give myself a little more time before reading it (but I would definitely read it with my kids).

Nana Upstairs, Nana Downstairs by Tomie dePaola is a really gentle introduction to death and loss for kids. Even though it's a picture book I think older kids could still appreciate it.

I just thought of a couple more. Anne of Green Gables deals with death and grief when Matthew dies. And Harry Potter - it's an underlying theme throughout the whole series, but especially in books 4 and 5.

I'm sure there are others, I just can't think of them at the moment.

With You and Without You by Ann M. Martin.

This is an older book by the author of the Babysitter's Club books.  The main character's father is diagnosed with cardiomyopathy and she has to deal with his illness and death.

I read this when I was a teenager and my mom was diagnosed with the same heart condition.  It was a very emotional read for me and I cried buckets of tears through that book.  (Thankfully my mom is still here, but for a while her prognosis was not good.)