Menu

Switching AHG Troops question...

bodiesmom

My dd14 has been involved with AHG for 3 years and is now contemplating switching to a troop that will better support her goal of earning her SS in 3 years. The troop she might be interested in is Catholic, while the one she currently attends is Protestant. Our question is is there a possibility that she won't "fit" in with the troop being that she doesn't follow the Catholic faith (we are Protestant)?

Anyone btdt in terms of being an active member of a troop that followed a different faith? Any words of wisdom to possibly help me prepare her for what to expect?

Thanks!

The charter may be a church of a particular faith but look into if all the girls are from that place. You will likely find they are not. A troop is not supposed to be “Catholic†or “Protestantâ€. Our troop meets at a Protestant church and is almost 1/2 Protestant and 1/2 Catholic. Few of our girls knew each other prior to joining the troop.

• Like 1

Thank you , Beaniemom.

I agree that there shouldn't be a "Protestant" or "Catholic" troop, but it is very much like that in my area. Our current troop is 100% Protestant. The "Catholic" troop we are considering is very much Catholic. They have a longer history in the area and are very well established. We have joined them the last several summers and there was a very distinct difference between our troops (it is absolutely not a problem or even a concern of mine at all, but the difference was clearly evident). This is our only experience with AHG so I assumed it was like that elsewhere.

I'd agree...but I'd ask how they do their religious awards, as the format for these differ based on your church. I'd also ask if they do special catholic patches as a group (like Our Lady of Fatima), which might leave your dd feeling on the out. If these things were done individually or outside of regular troop time on a separate night, then I'd look for a mixed membership and hope for the best. I have a good friend who's the T/C for a mixed troop and they avoid conflicts by separating out anything that's for a specific denomination and doing it individually or on a different night.

• Like 2