Menu

MM not working for 2nd grader

scbusf

I loooove Math Mammoth and I am a big fan of not switching around math curriculum. But my 2nd grader HATES it. It's too incremental for her. She is very math-y and MM just isn't working. She has zero interest in Beast Academy. Of course, because I already have that, too!!!

She does have ADHD, emphasis on the Hyperactive! (ETA: She does take meds for the ADHD as well as Anxiety. She is a complicated kid.) She needs something straightforward and preferably with not a ton of reading. We are still working on her reading skills.

Help!!!

Edited by scbusf

My wiggly 7yo has done great with Horizons (spiral) and Singapore (mastery). Horizons has less reading at the grade 2 level.

Mine is in SM 2b right now. When the lesson of the day is one he could practically do blindfolded I offer him the choice of one more lesson or doing a bit of Beast 3a with me. He also plays on Prodigy regularly.

• Like 1

Since she can get math easily, how about the Math Reasoning workbooks from Critical Thinking press?  They don't have a ton of reading on each page and the number of problems on each page isn't overwhelming.  There is a lot of color, not sure if that is an issue for you all.

My wiggly 7yo has done great with Horizons (spiral) and Singapore (mastery). Horizons has less reading at the grade 2 level.

Agreeing with this recommendation if you're looking to move to spiral based math instruction. Horizons is solid and my daughter found the workbook style appealing.