Menu

Driving mirrors and glare reducers--what helps?

Pen

I'm thinking to try some things to help reduce glare and vehicle blind-spot issues.

Problem times tend to be at night on unlighted roads when vehicles behind or approaching do not dim brights or have very bright halogens. I don't have a vehicle with automatic dimming features built in. I'm considering a blue antiglare rearview mirror clip on (not sure if flat or convex would be better--convex might help with reducing blind spots, but some customer comments say that they add to the problem of objects being closer than they appear in the mirror). And/or yellow tint antiglare glasses. And/or tinted visor shields. Any experience or recommendations or the opposite?

I'm also wanting to put on some sort of convex blind spot mirrors on my side mirrors. But does that add to problems at night with headlights behind being reflected even more into driver eyes?

Doesn't your rearview mirror have the little knob that tips it up to reduce glare from cars behind you? Then you just flip it back down when they are gone.

I wouldn't put something on my rear view mirror that could distort the view all the time, just because I had headlights in my eyes on occasion.    I would either just move my mirror and readjust after the car goes away, or use my hand to block the glare.  If I am on a long road and a truck is behind me, sometimes I slow down and let them pass to get them out from behind me.

I don't know about the side view mirrors. I guess you could try it and see if it helps.  I prefer to just turn and look at blind spots, but I know body mechanics and height affects that for some people.  

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

I think what it is is that people don't angle their lights to the road when they install them. When I was living in Massachusetts this was part of the inspection process. I live in NJ now and there are few places around where you need your brights on. No one around me should ever have them on. But I am sure people have them on. 

I am not sure what the answer is, but I agree it is a problem. 

• Like 1

I decided to order a pair of antiglare night driving glasses, on theory that they could help whether looking toward side, front, or rearview mirrors.  Also a set of blind spot convex mirrors.

Tap, in our passenger car you can look behind like you are describing, so there really is no spot blind at all between utilizing all mirrors and turning head around.  Our pick-up truck otoh has an area I discovered that has a blind spot even when utilizing all existing mirrors and turning head and looking.  Not as bad as the huge blind areas for large trucks, but significant enough that I want to do something about it.  I think your point about not getting something that could be a problem at times when there is not a headlight problem was important, and led me to go with the glasses rather than other things.

3ladybugs, that might be partly true here too that lights are not angled correctly.  We do need brights for a lot of our roads, but it used to be that people dimmed their brights when approaching other vehicles and now they don't seem to be doing that--it is still the law to do it, just seeming like people don't. Or maybe some vehicles are supposed to do this automatically, but the features are not working to recognize other cars as compared to brighter general lighting.  In the city I almost never see brights wrongly on, but once out on the windy and hilly country roads without streetlights, people seem to turn on their brights and leave them on. Plus the new superbright types of headlights seem more a problem.