Menu

Some unusual and potentially very helpful on-line classes...

I was skimming through the offerings of the on-line schools I have used and I thought I would post a link to some classes starting the week of January 18th for Open Tent Academy that I thought might help others.  These are not as commonly offered so people might not have known to even look for them.  First is the link to the section of the school website offering the courses but I also made a list of some of the more interesting ones below it. There are others, too.  I didn't list them all.  The school offers a lot of traditional courses, too.  I just thought these might help some specific niche needs.

http://www.opententacademy.com/courses/?cat=logic

1.  Developing relationship skills for 8th-12th graders.

2. Critical Thinking and Decision Making for 8th -12th grade

3.  How to Argue: Logic and Reasoning 8th-12th grade

4.  Present yourself: A Course in Public Speaking 7th -12th grade

5.  Math of the Game: Math in Sports 5th - 9th grade

http://www.opententacademy.com/courses/?cat=electives

6. ADHD Toolbox 6th - Adult

7. Getting Yourself together: Study Skills for Middle School Students 5th - 7th

8. Minecraft + Architectural History 5th - 8th

9. Prep for College like a Boss - 8th - 12th

Art and Music classes:

http://www.opententacademy.com/courses/?cat=artmusic

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 6

Hey Hunter.  Miss you.  So glad you popped in.

Yeah, I know that on-line classes are not always in reach for people but when the update came through my computer I was pleased with some of the offerings, and thought some of these seemed to hit spots that might be very useful but unusual enough a parent might not find them or even think to look for them so I thought I would post.  

I'm still trying to decide between Open Tent's and Excelsior Academy's Photoshop class.

I'm not sure if this is a factor or not but the photoshop class from Excelsior for this spring is 201 so the student would have had to have taken one of the prerequisites to take that one.  It is the follow up course.  Open Tent's class is the Introductory course for Adobe so there are no prerequisites.

I'm not sure if this is a factor or not but the photoshop class from Excelsior for this spring is 201 so the student would have had to have taken one of the prerequisites to take that one. It is the follow up course. Open Tent's class is the Introductory course for Adobe so there are no prerequisites.

I think there is a 101 class for spring. 201 is actually more than what DD is looking for.

I think there is a 101 class for spring. 201 is actually more than what DD is looking for.

Then she probably wants the Excelsior 201 class.  Open Tent might be too basic for her if she is already familiar with the program.

FWIW, the 101 class on Excelsior is listed but if you look at it closely it was for the Fall and is closed to registration.

• Like 1