Menu

TSA Real ID and states granted an extension

dirty ethel rackham

So, I live in a state that received an extension for Real ID compliant drivers licences.  But I am reading conflicting advice about when that truly expires and whether or not I will need a passport to get on an airplane after January 22, 2018.  The homeland security website is confusing (saying the extension expired on October 18, 2017, that Illinois ID cards will be accepted until October 18, 2018, but that the grace period is extended to January 22, 2018.  

So, which date is it?  I need to fly in February.  Do I need to get a passport now?  Or is my license good for air travel until October?  

• Like 1

Does your state offer a compliant ID? Mine does which dd will be getting soon, and I will at my next renewal (if we don’t go fully compliant before).

ETA: I take this back. Lol. Last I looked our DMV info was weird. Just now it looked more straightforward.

ETAa: Our extension lasts until October 2018. Real IDs will be available spring 2019. Where’s the logic there? There’s also an FAQ about what happens October 1, 2020. How does a state’s law prevent it from complying? That’s why my state is waiting so long apparently.

Edited by amo_mea_filiis.
  • Like 1

My state is the same way and the available information is very confusing. I don’t even have a current passport, as mine expired in October and I failed to renew it. Guess I need to do some checking around too as I have a flight in a few weeks.

My license expires in a week. I didn’t realize there was all this new nonsense so i’m struggling to find all the correct paperwork in time.

Folks, please keep track of your kids vital papers. “I’m sure it is here somewhere†is not so handy.

I renewed my license in June.  But, I live in a state that has not completed the Real ID process and there is conflicting information about whether or not I will be able to use my license as acceptable ID after January 22, 2018.  Do I need to spend $400 to get passports so that all my family members can fly or not?  I just can't seem to find a definitive answer.  I'm not even sure who to call.  Three of us will be flying in February.   

Anyone under 18 will not have to have ID.

I assume another extension will be made, but if not it would be too late to get passports. They do have a list of acceptable alternative ids on the TSA website but they are things like certain military ids. Maybe call your local congress person liaison or a state representative?

This lists states with an extension through Oct 2018: http://www.ajc.com/news/national/states-granted-extension-for-real-compliance-driver-license-for-domestic-travel/qemtegg5mCZ3cjNJtwQ8sK/

IL is not on the list. I’d be contacting the IL drivers license agency or your representatives for assistance. $400 is a lot for passports especially if you only need it for one domestic flight.

So, I'm still confused.  I guess my state is "under review" for an extension as of October 2017.  I haven't seen anything that said we got an approval.  While the passports are expensive, we will likely need them anyway.  (We will need 4.  One already has one due to study abroad in college.)  

I just don't want to get one for K until she has a permanent name change, but I don't  know when that will be since she refuses to discuss anything with us.  

• Like 1