Menu

Pathway Readers vs CLE Reading

lulalu

I have been gifted both the 1st grade Pathway Readers and CLE 1st grade reader.

I see that both of these have workbooks with them. I don't want two sets of workbooks so which would you choose and why.

Also- we have not used either program for phonics will that make a big difference? We also have not done any sight words. I know CLE LTR uses sight words, would the workbooks be too different? We have been using Webster's Speller for phonics along with AlphaPhonics. From what I can see of samples LTR seems close to Websters. But there seems to be a lot of different marking systems.

By Pathway I am assuming you mean the Amish series. Dd loved them because they were so different from her life. I would definitely give the books a try and see if they click with your child since you already own them! Ds didn’t like them but he did know the stories already because his sister had read them to him! I really don’t remember the workbooks beyond the phonics where we had quite a struggle keeping the names of the different buggies straight!

Dd is 19 and those readers are one of the “ Do you remember when we......†from home ed. We recently saw a horse and cart and looked at each other and said “So which cart is that?†😂She doesn’t even remember MCP phonics which we also did.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 1

Yes the Amish series.

I was thinking of at least reading all the readers we have. Just wondering which set of workbooks to get with at least one.

I didn't know there were different names for carts! We live in a big city with little rural interactions 😜

• Like 1

My DD used the Pathway Readers for fluency practice. If you ask Socratic type questions and discuss any unfamiliar vocab, I see no reason to purchase the workbooks.

For some reason, I thought the Pathway Readers are published by the Mennonites. The stories are innocent enough though we have skipped over some, and I had to correct for some of the blatant “girls belong in the kitchen’†assertions.

• Like 1

My DD used the Pathway Readers for fluency practice. If you ask Socratic type questions and discuss any unfamiliar vocab, I see no reason to purchase the workbooks.

For some reason, I thought the Pathway Readers are published by the Mennonites. The stories are innocent enough though we have skipped over some, and I had to correct for some of the blatant “girls belong in the kitchen’†assertions.

I always change my mind about if I should just do it all through discussion or have it planned out with a workbook. Ds likes workbooks and dh will have 6 months of taking over school next August and I know he needs something that tells him what to do.....

Yikes is there much of that content? I know they are much more conservative written than we are as a family, but don't want to edit it all!

I always change my mind about if I should just do it all through discussion or have it planned out with a workbook. Ds likes workbooks and dh will have 6 months of taking over school next August and I know he needs something that tells him what to do.....

Yikes is there much of that content? I know they are much more conservative written than we are as a family, but don't want to edit it all!

The themes weren’t so bad that we stopped using them. I purchased maybe two of the workbooks, and it felt like busywork to me. Thankfully, the workbooks are inexpensive, so you could try one and see what you think.

DD used the Pathway Readers for fluency practice. She also listened to audio books and completed copywork from her literature and other subjects.

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...