Menu

Is it worth it to pursue Honors program in college for a nursing (BSN) student?

Dd could be accepted into Cedarville, Liberty, and Roberts Wesleyan in their Honors programs for nursing (GPA 4.0 and 1390 SAT).

Besides the scholarship money, it just seems crazy to apply for Honors and have her do all that extra work (senior thesis, more difficult classes, etc.) when she’ll get a good job anyway with her regular BSN. It’s not like a business or law degree where Honors would make a difference to job hunting.

I should mention this is a girl who pushes herself to the point of anxiety and we’d rather have her have a more “relaxed†college experience (nursing degree is tough enough already!) instead of having to constantly perform at a high honors level.

Thanks-this is our first in college so we have no clue!

How very timely! My DD19, who is a sophomore nursing student, has recently decided to drop her school's honors program. It really doesn't matter to anyone whether she completes the program; she will not be a better nurse for having that endorsement on her diploma! She is glad she participated her first year because it earned her a spot very nice freshman dorm room and gave her priority in course registration. She has chosen to drop it to give her greater flexibility to chose elective classes. Your student should consider what perks she might get as a member of the honors program. It is possible to participate just the first year and later drop it if she determines it won't be worth the time/effort.  

We didn't find the honors program to be worth replacing the few electives that nursing students get, not to mention that dd, like all the nursing students she knows, spends nearly all her time studying without it. One of the great benefits of honors programs for most students is early registration, but at dd's school, nursing students are assigned a schedule, so there is no gain there either. I don't think an honors degree would make a BSN more employable or receive higher pay after graduation. Unless your dd would really enjoy the time spent in the required honors courses, I'd be quick to let her skip it.

It will not matter professionally for the most part. It could possibly make a difference for entrance to a competitive graduate program or other special opportunity (for example, I went from college to a somewhat selective program for new grad nurses.) At some colleges the honors program offer a nice community for freshmen, but it sounds like she might get that within the nursing program anyway.

• Like 2

Perhaps this is a JAWM thread, but I'll post my opinion anyway.

We are big fans of the honors programs at Liberty University.  We've had one child graduate with honors and another who is currently in the honors program.  Our fourth child, DS18 is planning to attend Liberty beginning in Fall 2019 studying either BSN or pre-med in the honors program.

Yes, there is extra work with the honors program, both before admission and during every semester there.  But there are many benefits, IMO.  Here are some that I see:

- Liberty requires participation in the honors program for most (all?) of their merit-based scholarship programs.  These scholarships range all the way up to full tuition plus room and board plus a small stipend.

- The honors dorm has been a real benefit for DS19.  He lives with other students who are interested in academic achievement.  Many of these students are extremely well-rounded and pursue many interests.  DS19 (who is majoring in CS and math) decided last year to take up piano and fitness and spends time each day pursuing both of these.  He likely would not have done either of these had it not been for his friends in the honors programs.

- Living with the other honors students provides positive peer pressure to excel in schoolwork.

- DS19 has more frequent and meaningful interactions with his professors because of his participation in honors.  I can't express how excited he is about math.  Over the Thanksgiving break he learned of an area of math about which he did know much and he excitedly emailed one of his favorite professors to discuss making that the subject of his honors project next semester.

- Dr. James Nutter does a great job running the honors program at Liberty University.  The honors lounge near his office is always open to honors students to come in and relax or study.  He is another faculty resource that students can access if they have challenges or difficulties or just need someone to help them strategize on their college career or later goals.

In short, the honors program at Liberty has been a very positive experience for our two children who attended there.  We hope it will be similarly beneficial for DS18 when he attends.

• Like 1