Menu

Lego Mindstorms EV3

mlktwins

My dad is giving me money to get the boys something for Christmas.  I am thinking Lego Mindstorms EV3 Education set.  Any thoughts?  Other options?  They have a ton of Lego sets (they aren't much into free building) and are very into Minecraft still.  I have one that loves anything related to building and electronics.  

Thanks much!

My kids love building and the EV3 expansion set was what they love more than the minestorm itself. I have the NXT retail set and EV3 education set.

My DS11 who is into robotics prefers group play but not the FLL (first Lego league) competitions so he played with mindstorm the most when at YMCA robotics class and their summer camp. My DS12 is more into architecture when playing Legos.

Our public school has a FLL team so my husband treats the Mindstorm sets as an education expense while homeschooling. At least we know DS12 is unlikely to want to major in mechatronics/mechanical engineering. DS11 wants to major in something dealing with making cars and airplanes so it make sense he likes robotics club kind of activities instead of solo.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much!  Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner!  I'm starting to look at the Lego Education site.  I believe I've read on here to get the set from Lego Education instead of the one from the Lego store.  I need to compare to remember why.  It sounds like a good place to start is the EV3 Education set and expansion set.  Anything else?  They have new desktop computers so they should be good to work the EV3 software on.

I have one that is very interested in computers, computer science, building big redstone contraptions in Minecraft, architecture.

The other will do something in finance, but still loves Legos and Minecraft.  The only Legos they will currently freebuild with are the Minecraft sets.  They don't like to mix up the pieces to the sets -- LOL.

I believe I've read on here to get the set from Lego Education instead of the one from the Lego store. I need to compare to remember why.

The Lego Education set’s sensors is the closest match to what FLL (First Lego League) needs.

Mine are into Lego Technics more than the robotics. We also bought the LEGO Technic Power Functions Motor Set 8293 https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Technic-Power-Functions-Motor/dp/B01E78WLCU/

Edited by Arcadia