Menu

Vocab

Quiver0f10

I am doing some test prep books with my kids because we have state required testing in April. They haven't been doing too well on the vocab part and I am not sure what to use to help them with that. We do read alot and we are halfway through LC I, but other than that I don't use a formal program. Would Wordly Wise help? Do you feel a weorkbook program sticks? I am afraid they will fill in the answers and forget the words by the next page.

But if middle school and above, I'd suggest going to the library and getting every prep book for PSAT or SAT or ACT and copy every vocab list. Student gets a notebook and writes down word, looks it up in an age appropriate dictionary, jots down a one or two word definition, a sentence using it, and moves on. Review the list the child has made daily until test day.

This was my technique for getting 98th%ile on vocab. To ace a test, put some time into studying for the test.

Also, add to the list any word in reading that child doesn't recognize.

HTH

To prepare for our standardized testing, I use the Scoring High books at Rainbow Resource. I've found them to be very helpful in familiarizing my boys with the format of the test. Here's a link to the CAT books (they also have the older CAT books available so be sure you know exactly which test they are taking): http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1202998235-1723543&subject=1&category=48

To help with vocabulary, I would recommend the Word Roots software from Critical Thinking Company. I use many of their products, but not specifically this one because of our Latin studies. However, I think Word Roots would be helpful in your situation and easy to do since it's a software program. In addition, all of your kids could to the program; your older ones would just progress to the higher levels more quickly. http://www.criticalthinking.com/getProductDetails.do?code=p&id=03703

HTH!

I think you could use Wordly Wise leading up to their testing and it would still be fresh with them then. I don't know that it will still stick with them by next spring. You could also just pull vocab from their reading, history and/or science. That might actually stick better if they're really using the words some as they complete their assignments.

Regena

Jean,

AR is only testing on the two reading comprehension sections and Math Problem Solving and Data Interpretation. The ITBS is the test used by the state. Not saying you shouldn't find a good vocabulary program :D, but I just wanted you to know that the testing is quite limited this year.

Jean,

AR is only testing on the two reading comprehension sections and Math Problem Solving and Data Interpretation. The ITBS is the test used by the state. Not saying you shouldn't find a good vocabulary program :D, but I just wanted you to know that the testing is quite limited this year.

I didn't know that! While I am glad, I was concerned @ their vocab and figure it can't hurt LOL. Thanks for the info, that is a relief!

They'll need hundreds of words, not a hundred words. The trick to getting to vocab tests is that you don't need a long definition, just a ball park. Perhaps you'll get an X is to Y as blank is to blank and if X and Y are opposites and the choices include three pair of non-opposites and zenith:nadir (a favourite for some reason), they don't need a lot of info on zenith and nadir.

If you really need to nail this (and I do advise this as the study I did for this STUCK) start now with at least 5 words per day, brief entries, and the last two weeks drill and drill quickly (have them get in a quiet place and cover their answers and glance at the word, pop out an answer and flip up the cover for a quick glance and move on.

HTH. I suffered for years from test anxiety and I got over it by getting those joyful moments when you open up the booklet and think gosh, how simple.

• 1 year later...