Menu

Hamstring only exercises?

amo_mea_filiis.

I started exercising. My squat isn’t perfect, but it’s getting there.

Somehow I’m overusing my quads and not using my hamstrings (I realize I am using all those muscles, so I’m referring to the pain of knowing what was worked), or my quads are just so much weaker it feels worse. I’m trying to get my hips/butt back more, but in the process of practicing, my quads are dead. I feel absolutely nothing in the hamstrings.

Maybe I need to wall squat or ball squat.

What can I do that almost exclusively works hamstrings to even out this leg blah-ness? Even walking up stairs reminds me that I have muscles in the front of my legs. Lol

I have been resting, which I think is part of the problem! I think I end up going to class on leg heavy days. So I’m going to go a lot more, but will ask for modifications if needed.

I do a lot of yoga poses and they benefit my hamstrings. I am not sure if they will work for you, because there are other groups of muscles involved in those poses as well. Anyway, here are some:

https://www.self.com/gallery/this-yoga-sequence-will-loosen-up-insanely-tight-hamstrings

https://www.yogajournal.com/poses/anatomy/hamstrings

There are DVDs  and youtube videos on yoga for hamstring stretches - if any of the above exercises interest you, you can get one of the videos or even go to a yoga teacher for more help.

Those yoga poses look great too! Thank you.

Right now I’m feeling the most fatigue with any movement involving a squat, mountain climbers, rowing, and today even a push up required a knee down (I’m still worming for more than 1 push-up, but I also have to use dumbbells which has me lower than if on the floor). I have no idea why my legs felt so much during a push-up, but they did. Lol

Most women are quad dominant--ie their quads are stronger than their hamstrings. 

What kind of squat are you doing? Bodyweight? Dumbbells? Barbell?  Wall squats work the same muscles. 

Your issue might be your warm up. If you are not incorporating dynamic exercises that wake up your glutes in warm up, they will chill and let your quads and possibly lower back, do all the work. 

Deadlifts are the go-to exercise for posterior chain, which includes glutes as well as hamstrings. If they are not working for you, I'm wondering how much weight are you deadlifting as a percentage of your bodyweight?  Have you had a trainer check your form? Cuz they should work on the hamstrings. 

You can also do hamstring curls: 

Here is a bodywieght exercise if you are advanced: http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/13-best-hamstrings-exercises-all-time/slideshow. It's part of a slideshow with several other hamstring exercises. 

• Like 1

Most women are quad dominant--ie their quads are stronger than their hamstrings. 

What kind of squat are you doing? Bodyweight? Dumbbells? Barbell?  Wall squats work the same muscles. 

Your issue might be your warm up. If you are not incorporating dynamic exercises that wake up your glutes in warm up, they will chill and let your quads and possibly lower back, do all the work. 

Deadlifts are the go-to exercise for posterior chain, which includes glutes as well as hamstrings. If they are not working for you, I'm wondering how much weight are you deadlifting as a percentage of your bodyweight?  Have you had a trainer check your form? Cuz they should work on the hamstrings. 

You can also do hamstring curls: 

Here is a bodywieght exercise if you are advanced: http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/13-best-hamstrings-exercises-all-time/slideshow. It's part of a slideshow with several other hamstring exercises. 

My trainer has me doing a lot of hamstring exercises - I do the curls with the stability ball and five or six of the exercises on the men's fitness link. Great stuff.

• Like 1

I do body weight, dumbbell, kettle bell, barbell. My deadlifts are with 35-75lbs. I don’t track weights used yet and always just ask what I would use. Lol

I’m not doing anything bad as far as my lower back is concerned. I know I’d feel that quick.

The warmups are very varied.

Here is an example of what I meant when I asked about a dynamic warm-up. Often our glutes will not trigger till they are deliberately "woke." So you want them awake before you start. She includes several exercises in this warm up.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARohP6TvKTY

Are you working with a trainer? Have you just started deadlifting? Deadlifts are really good for the hamstrings, but only if they are challenging to your hamstrings. To make sure they are challenging, you have to be methodical about it. I would suggest that you do track the weights. If you can do 5 sets of 5 at 75 lbs, then try 80 lbs next time. Being able to lift your bodyweight is a reasonable goal.  But if you want to progress, you will need to track .  So if you want to increase hamstring strength, I would stick to deadlifts but be methodical about it. Are you doing a program? That will help you figure out how to approach it. New Rules of Lifting for Women Strong is a good one. Nia Shanks is good. Girls Gone Strong is another, but pricier. 

To give you an idea of weights: when I started deadlifting at age 59, the trainer had me start at 45 lbs. I now warm up between 45-65 lbs and am at 80% of my bodyweight, hoping to get close to 100% by the end of this year.