Menu

I'm looking for a recipe for homemade granola bars.

I'm searching for some ideas for healthy snacks to pack in dd's competition bag when she has gymnastics meets. It has to be something easily portable that doesn't require refrigeration and isn't messy. I thought homemade granola bars might be a good option. I'd love to have a recipe for peanut butter granola bars, but any recipes are welcome. Thanks.

These are terrific. I make them once a week.

Adjustment I make: I substitute canola oil for melted butter in the recipe. I sometimes leave out the raisins as one of my sons won't eat them. If I think of it, I add in a couple of tablespoons of flax seed meal. My wheat germ isn't toasted and they still turn out fine.

I think your daughter will like these!

Janet

My friend, Chocolate Chic has a yummy granola recipe on her blog. Along with her baked oatmeal recipe.

She is definitely worth checking out.

http://chocolatechic.wordpress.com/recipies/

While there check out some of her other stuff. I know her personally. I have eaten at her table. I can vouch for her food. I have used several of her recipes. My family can vouch for her food. Her son is an awesome cook also.

She is also doing some frugal posts to work within the current economy. Definitely someone you may want to bookmark.

I would highly recommend the baked oatmeal. It is truly slamming!!!!

The recipes are listed on the sidebar.

Edited by GSMP

These are terrific. I make them once a week.

Adjustment I make: I substitute canola oil for melted butter in the recipe. I sometimes leave out the raisins as one of my sons won't eat them. If I think of it, I add in a couple of tablespoons of flax seed meal. My wheat germ isn't toasted and they still turn out fine.

I think your daughter will like these!

Janet

Thanks, Janet. Do you use corn syrup? It's not something I ever have in the house, so I was wondering if there might be a substitute? Thanks again!

My friend Tracy, who sometimes posts here, gave me this recipe. We love it here!

4 cups rolled oats - or 4 c steel cut oats ( soaked ) [ If you want to

add Wheat Germ or Oat Bran - do it here- no more than 1/4c of the 4 cups ]

1/2c other Grains/seeds ( Raw sunflowers, Flax Seeds etc .)

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 teaspoon baking soda ( Rumford )

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2/3 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup honey or 1/2c Agave

1/3 cup Cane Juice Crystals ( turbinado, sucanat etc) or 1/3c packed

brown sugar

2 cups Sweet stuff ( Unsweetened Raw coconut, Ch. Chips, raisins, dried

cherries,dried papaya etc ) You can mix these to equal 2c total.

Bake at 325 until it puffs and turns golden. This should take around 20

minutes. Let them cool completely before cutting. Skipping this step will

get you crumbly bars. Since flour varies in its humidity etc.... if you find

that your bars are a little dry you can add a bit more butter and or honey

the next time and find the recipe that works best for you.

Homemade No-Bake Granola Bars

1 c sugar

2/3 c water (if using natural PB, increase to 1 c)

1 c peanut butter

5 c oats

1 T vanilla

1 c chocolate chips

Heat the sugar, water and PB on the stove and mix until sugar and PB are dissolved. Let cool a couple of minutes. Meanwhile, mix oats and vanilla in big bowl. Pour in PB mixture and stir. Add chocolate chips. Press into greased 13x9 pan. Refrigerate 2-3 hours until solid.

My kids love these!

Oh, Emeraldjoy has an amazing recipe, if I can find it...

ETA: It's here in my post in this thread, and there are a bunch of others here too.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62067

HTH!

Thanks, Melissa! I thought I had asked this question before! That looks like a great recipe. I'm thinking of using it as my guide for the basics and then make a few different variations. I think cranberry almond, cinnamon raisin, and peanut butter chocolate chip sound good!

My friend Tracy, who sometimes posts here, gave me this recipe. We love it here!

4 cups rolled oats - or 4 c steel cut oats ( soaked ) [ If you want to

add Wheat Germ or Oat Bran - do it here- no more than 1/4c of the 4 cups ]

1/2c other Grains/seeds ( Raw sunflowers, Flax Seeds etc .)

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 teaspoon baking soda ( Rumford )

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2/3 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup honey or 1/2c Agave

1/3 cup Cane Juice Crystals ( turbinado, sucanat etc) or 1/3c packed

brown sugar

2 cups Sweet stuff ( Unsweetened Raw coconut, Ch. Chips, raisins, dried

cherries,dried papaya etc ) You can mix these to equal 2c total.

Bake at 325 until it puffs and turns golden. This should take around 20

minutes. Let them cool completely before cutting. Skipping this step will

get you crumbly bars. Since flour varies in its humidity etc.... if you find

that your bars are a little dry you can add a bit more butter and or honey

the next time and find the recipe that works best for you.

Wow, this sounds like a great recipe! Thanks.

Homemade No-Bake Granola Bars

1 c sugar

2/3 c water (if using natural PB, increase to 1 c)

1 c peanut butter

5 c oats

1 T vanilla

1 c chocolate chips

Heat the sugar, water and PB on the stove and mix until sugar and PB are dissolved. Let cool a couple of minutes. Meanwhile, mix oats and vanilla in big bowl. Pour in PB mixture and stir. Add chocolate chips. Press into greased 13x9 pan. Refrigerate 2-3 hours until solid.

My kids love these!

Wow, this looks interesting. I like that you don't have to bake them. Do they stay solid out of the refrigerator or do they have to remain refrigerated?

Thanks, Melissa! I thought I had asked this question before! That looks like a great recipe. I'm thinking of using it as my guide for the basics and then make a few different variations. I think cranberry almond, cinnamon raisin, and peanut butter chocolate chip sound good!

:lol: I didn't even realize you were the OP on that thread!

I love her recipe because I love the "glue" base. My kids don't like nut butters, so they haven't liked any with those as a base. I also love the toastedness of the dry stuff. We made ours with almonds and cranberries, and even my picky DD6 liked them. I bet they'd be beyond delicious with PB chips in them! They're labor intensive, but if you make a big batch, they're so worth it. I actually promised my dad a batch next time I make them!

http://www.joyfulabode.com/2008/04/11/homemade-granola-bar-recipe-no-high-fructose-corn-syrup-in-these-bars/

Gosh that sure is a long link. Please let me know if it does not work...I am not very good at this thing.

I have tripled this and it works fine.

I have also subsituted just about everything for everything in it.

Used honey, peanut butter, maple syrup, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc.

Be careful not to boil. It will act like peanut brittle, the longer it boils and stays too hot the crispier they will be. Still yummy but hard to eat.

Emerald

Wow, this looks interesting. I like that you don't have to bake them. Do they stay solid out of the refrigerator or do they have to remain refrigerated?

Last week my dd made them just before we went out, so they weren't refrigerated at all. We took them with us for a snack and they stayed together fine!