Menu

Saxon Math

TCoppock

My DS finished Saxon 3 and immediately started with Saxon 5/4 this week and I am not happy. I flipped through the book and it looks like a review of Saxon 3. I am hoping someone who has actually completed Saxon 5/4 will tell me differently. If not what are my options? My DS wants to know why he isn't multiplying and dividing anymore and says it's baby work. I am tempted to skip ahead but don't want to miss something if it is important. We love Saxon and I would like to stick with it but am wondering if I should just stick it out for now or skip and keep going from where we left off in the other book.

If you started immeadiately after finishing 3 I would have him take any tests (1 a day) until he reaches a point where he get's less than 80% or so and have him pick up the lessons there. I believe if you go to the Saxon website it says something to this effect in the FAQ's. Remember the publisher is most likely assuming that the kids would have had some sort of long break in between levels (summer vacation) so the beginning of the book is a review to make sure the kids are getting back into things slowly.

HTH

My ds9 is challenged (halfway through) although he does complain that some problems (like addition/subtraction of larger numbers) are too easy. So...I don't make him do all of them and we also add mult/div. drills/games and other activities to reinforce those for him (he's having trouble memorizing the facts). Skip what she already has down, do the assessments until she gets below 85% or so. Our first year w/ Saxon and I hated it in the beg...but I'm developing a real appreciation for it as we progress through (I have dc using Saxon 1,3, 5/4 and 7/6).