Menu

tipping advice

UnionJack

Question about tipping....

What would you say is reasonable re: a delivery tip for a bill that is going to come out to about $1600 (sandwiches and salads; no setup required, we do that on our end--just handing the bags to someone at drop-off).  A flat tip of $X?  (X=? :-) )  or a percentage?  $15% ($240 tip)?  $20 ($320 tip)?

Those sound very high for making a delivery, but would that be customary and best practice?

We frequently provide about 300 meals for our band. We purchase (for example) Chick Fil A chicken sandwiches and provide the chips, cookies, and drinks ourselves. Some of our meals cost over $3200. I've contacted the venues we purchase food from and all of them have told us not to include tips to the delivery person. In some cases, it's not allowed by the business; in others, it's the owner delivering the food and he has said he doesn't want tips. Instead, we will sometimes use social media to shout out to the business that support us or provide food. You might ask if a tip is customary or expected.

• Like 1

We frequently provide about 300 meals for our band. We purchase (for example) Chick Fil A chicken sandwiches and provide the chips, cookies, and drinks ourselves. Some of our meals cost over $3200. I've contacted the venues we purchase food from and all of them have told us not to include tips to the delivery person. In some cases, it's not allowed by the business; in others, it's the owner delivering the food and he has said he doesn't want tips. Instead, we will sometimes use social media to shout out to the business that support us or provide food. You might ask if a tip is customary or expected.

That is interesting, I hadn’t considered that (helpful for future deliveries!). In this case, there is a line for “delivery tipâ€â€”but in the decision-making group, we are divided on whether it should be a flat rate tip or percentage (it’s just one driver). It isn’t our money (coming from a fund) so I think it makes it a little easier for some to say that $300 (for example) is reasonable.