Menu

Can you plz help me find best price for vanilla beans to make vanilla? and questions about making it...

HappyGrace

I've never made it before and want to try, since the pure vanilla is so $$ to buy anyway. Just read that there is a huge shortage of vanilla beans in Madagascar-grrrrr!

We want it to be as cheap as we can-very tight budget.

Do you find it's more economical in the long run to make it? Do you find it works just fine to "top off" your vanilla w/ more vodka instead of making a bunch of it all at once? I thought we'd make 8 ounces and then just "top off". (For reference-We use it for baking and went through 16 ounces of McCormick in about a year and a half or more.)

Recipes say 3-5 beans for 8 oz vodka. Can we get away with 3 beans?

I googled it and read Madagascar beans are the best. Can someone point me to the CHEAPEST reputable source please? Or would we be just fine with Bourbon beans if they're cheaper?

Any other tips appreciated! thanks so much!

I make it in what must be a pint bottle. I have an 8 oz bottle in my pantry for regular use. When the small bottle emptied i fill it from the larger. When the larger bottle empties I add more vodka and let it steep while I use the smaller bottle. I've been doing this for years - although it looks like I got new beans last year. It looks like there are three beans in there, and it steeps for a long time, so that should be fine.

Edited by SusanC