Menu

Confused about Thinkwell Calculus

Looking at Thinkwell Calculus website, I see this:

"Thinkwell's Calculus course covers both Calculus I and Calculus II, each of which is a one-semester course in college. If you plan to take the AP Calculus AB or AP Calculus BC exam, you should consider our Calculus for AP courses, which have assessments targeted to the AP exam."

I am trying to find a non-AP version of calculus for my son's senior year so that when he takes Calculus I in college he will have had some exposure. I guess I am surprised that the non-AP version is covering both Calc I and Calc II.   :eek: . The schools I have looked at that award credit for AP Calc only award credit for Calc II if you took the AP Calc BC exam.

Maybe Thinkwell Calculus is not the right choice for a student who wants a non-AP version of Calculus I. I am interested in your opinions :)

since the pinned Math thread is "down":

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/271671-thinkwell-calculus/

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschool-reviews-core-curricula/math/grades-7-8/thinkwell-math-courses

You could cover as much as needed.

It does cover more than Calc 1 but it does mark what it thinks is Calc 1 -   

L'Hôpital's Rule is now In AP Calc AB

http://www.thinkwell.com/student/product/calculus

Thinkwell AP Calculus BC to Thinkwell Calculus

2. Techniques of Integration -> 16. Techniques of Integration

3. Parametric Equations and Polar Coordinates -> 21. Parametric Equations and Polar Coordinates

4. Sequences and Series -> 19. Sequences and Series

5. Differential Equations -> 20. Differential Equations

6. Vector Calculus and the Geometry of R2 and R3 -> 22. Vector Calculus and the Geometry of R2 and R3

The only value add for Thinkwell Calculus BC is

"1000+ interactive AP Calculus BC problems with immediate feedback allow you to track your progress (see sample)

Calculus BC practice chapter tests for all 5 chapters, as well as a final exam to make sure you're ready for the AP Calculus BC exam (only available in the homeschool version)." http://www.thinkwell.com/student/product/calculusbc

I would go for the Thinkwell Calculus version if the aim is to lay a foundation for college calculus. If he wants to take the AP Calculus AB or BC exam, get a test prep book and work through it as the Thinkwell Calculus course also covers the topics required.

• Like 2

since the pinned Math thread is "down":

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/271671-thinkwell-calculus/

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschool-reviews-core-curricula/math/grades-7-8/thinkwell-math-courses

You could cover as much as needed.

It does cover more than Calc 1 but it does mark what it thinks is Calc 1 -   

L'Hôpital's Rule is now In AP Calc AB

http://www.thinkwell.com/student/product/calculus

MarkT,

Are you saying that the first 12 units of Thinkwell Calculus plus L'Hôpital's Rule would be considered a full 1 credit course for high school calculus? Again, I am just trying to position him well for Calc I in college. He will not take an AP Calc exam.

He is taking Derek Owens Precalc this year if that helps. We might also continue with DO next year, but I want to explore Thinkwell too.

]He is taking Derek Owens Precalc this year if that helps. We might also continue with DO next year, but I want to explore Thinkwell too.

Thinkwell does not have tutor support option. That may or may not be a deal breaker for you.

I would be comfortable with calling the first 11 units + section 12.2 (sequences) + unit 14 (L'Hôpital's Rule) as high school calculus.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Thinkwell does not have tutor support option. That may or may not be a deal breaker for you.

I would be comfortable with calling the first 11 units + section 12.2 (sequences) + unit 14 (L'Hôpital's Rule) as high school calculus.

Not a deal breaker at all, but that is a good point. We are self-grading DO precalc and would do the same for DO calc. I have an engineering degree, although I will admittedly have to shake the cobwebs off my calculus.

Edited by Penguin

As you know, my son is currently doing Calculus through Derek Owens. This is AP Calc AB and is essentially calc 1 at the college level. In looking around  for options for him to do next year, my currently favorite is for him to finish up Calc BC with the Thinkwell lectures and support at home from me. My oldest did AP Calc through PA homeschoolers, but we are going a different route with this boy.

I think you can do either Derek Owens or Thinkwell as AP or non-AP options. Generally, I don't think you need an easier version of calculus to do first to be followed up with a harder version later. When I read your question as looking for a non-AP calculus course, I read it as you are looking for something less rigourous. I might be mistaken. The only thing you don't need from an AP course is directed AP prep.

By the way, in Derek Owens AP calculus course, he has two versions of each chapter test - an AP version and a non-AP version. I'm not real far into the course to be able to tell the differences, but it looks like he's written one version and then other version is setup like an AP exam with both multiple choice and free response. I might just give my son both.  :closedeyes:

As you know, my son is currently doing Calculus through Derek Owens. This is AP Calc AB and is essentially calc 1 at the college level. In looking around  for options for him to do next year, my currently favorite is for him to finish up Calc BC with the Thinkwell lectures and support at home from me. My oldest did AP Calc through PA homeschoolers, but we are going a different route with this boy.

I think you can do either Derek Owens or Thinkwell as AP or non-AP options. Generally, I don't think you need an easier version of calculus to do first to be followed up with a harder version later. When I read your question as looking for a non-AP calculus course, I read it as you are looking for something less rigourous. I might be mistaken. The only thing you don't need from an AP course is directed AP prep.

By the way, in Derek Owens AP calculus course, he has two versions of each chapter test - an AP version and a non-AP version. I'm not real far into the course to be able to tell the differences, but it looks like he's written one version and then other version is setup like an AP exam with both multiple choice and free response. I might just give my son both.  :closedeyes:

Thank you Julie. I am not trying to avoid a rigourous course. But I am trying to avoid the designation of AP Calculus on the transcript - I already know he will not take the AP Calc exam.

• Like 1

Thank you Julie. I am not trying to avoid a rigourous course. But I am trying to avoid the designation of AP Calculus on the transcript - I already know he will not take the AP Calc exam.

I'm following along in this conversation with interest. Just genuinely curious, couldn't you use DO's Calculus course for what you're trying to do? As Julie indicated above, there are two options for each chapter test: an AP version and a non-AP version. Then couldn't you just label the course Calculus (as opposed to AP Calculus) on your son's transcript? Or does your son simply prefer not to use DO again after doing his pre-calc?

Edited by TarynB

I'm following along in this conversation with interest. Just genuinely curious, couldn't you use DO's Calculus course for what you're trying to do? As Julie indicated above, there are two options for each chapter test: a AP version and a non-AP version. Then couldn't you just label the course Calculus (as opposed to AP Calcaulus) on your son's transcript? Or does your son simply prefer not to use DO again after doing his pre-calc?

I might do that with DO Calculus. And sticking with one provider might be a good way to go. I didn't know about the two test versions until Julie enlightened me.

I am just looking at non-DO options. DS may or may not like DO math. He starts it on Tuesday:)

Hope that clarifies!

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 1

I might do that with DO Calculus. And sticking with one provider might be a good way to go. I didn't know about the two test versions until Julie enlightened me.

I am just looking at non-DO options. DS may or may not like DO math. He starts it on Tuesday:)

Hope that clarifies!

Totally makes sense to me now. Thank you! :001_smile:

Hope that clarifies!

Since your student will take Calc 1 in college either way, there is considerable cost difference unless you use the self-graded version of DO.

When you are taking it for a  Calc 1 "preview" then many options are available.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/542418-homeschooling-high-school-math/?do=findComment&comment=6191111