Menu

Color Laser Printer Recommendation?

Lakeside

We just bought a HP multifunction laser printer after waiting a year for the price to drop. I was tired of how slow the Brother inkjet was and we also had problems with the cheap replacement cartridges that my husband bought.

Ours is the HP MFC M477fdw. My husband wants duplex scanning and printing. I want color and fast and can scan. I am very happy with the scanning so far as my kids can scan their assignments to their flash drives and upload to their student accounts for grading. I can set it to scan to my email but scanning to flash drive is easier as my kids can DIY.

My kids are happy as they can print their assignments and it's fast so no one is hogging the printer. I am happy because we can print from our iPhones, iPads and laptops through our home's wireless router.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Laserjet-M477fdw-Wireless-Printer/dp/B014CSKE7E

ETA:

My kids have many outsourced classes so the printing and scanning functions are essential. The printing is much quieter too compared to inkjet.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

I have a Brother HL-3140-CW that I love. I bought it in January 2016 and have used it pretty heavily for lapbooks, b&w maps, and other assorted color printing jobs. I'm still using the toner cartridges that came with it. It is AirPrint enabled which is a must for me. It does not duplex, but I have a Brother HL-2340-D that we use for the majority of our non-color pronting needs that duplexes and is also AirPrint enabled.

My only cons with the printer are that it takes up a lot of space and EPS doesn't sell toner cartridges for it.

• Like 1

I have a Brother HL-3140-CW that I love. I bought it in January 2016 and have used it pretty heavily for lapbooks, b&w maps, and other assorted color printing jobs. I'm still using the toner cartridges that came with it. It is AirPrint enabled which is a must for me. It does not duplex, but I have a Brother HL-2340-D that we use for the majority of our non-color pronting needs that duplexes and is also AirPrint enabled.

My only cons with the printer are that it takes up a lot of space and EPS doesn't sell toner cartridges for it.

Thanks!  That is one that I was looking at that Costco sells.  Good to know that you're still using the original toner.  I didn't realize that it didn't do duplexing. 

Thanks! That is one that I was looking at that Costco sells. Good to know that you're still using the original toner. I didn't realize that it didn't do duplexing.

I think you'd have to pay double what the HL3140CW costs in order to get duplexing. I wish it had it, but my budget just doesn't allow for that.

I should mention that I reset the toner cartridges when the printer said they needed to be replaced without actually replacing them and when I set it up, I made sure the continue printing setting was on for when the printer said the cartridges were low. So, apparently when it says the're low and need to be replaced, there's still lots of printing left. I did that a few months ago if not more. Since the toner is pretty expensive, I intend to get every last bit out of them.