Menu

Review of my Trunk Club box.

Night Elf

They send 10 items and I'm keeping only 3. That's less than I thought but I just didn't like the way some of the things fit me. I'm keeping a long sleeve super soft sweater, a plain tshirt, and a denim jacket. I almost kept the boyfriend jeans but I'm just not sure I'll wear them enough to justify the price. I loved the Toms Classic slip-ons but I cannot justify getting them when I really need black shoes. There was a skirt I couldn't make up my mind about. It had a slanted ruffle on the front on the bottom which looked formal, but the material of the skirt is tshirt. I didn't have any shirts that would look good with that skirt. The rest of the stuff either fit too big or just looked better in the picture than it did on me.

I'm paying $135 for the 3 items I'm keeping. The most expensive item was the denim jacket for $78.

I think I'll order another trunk in December instead of a Stitch Fix box. I liked being able to have a conversation with my stylist before she chose my items. I liked that I could preview the items and decline what I don't like right away. You only get that chance once though. The stylist replaces the items and sends you the trunk. 

I really don't see a price difference between Trunk Club and Stitch Fix. The Nordstrom name just conjures dollar signs but my stylist worked with me in choosing items I felt I could afford.

With Stitch Fix, I loved my 1st box but only kept 3 items that cost me $151. The 2nd box was a total bust and I didn't keep anything.

• Like 6

I got one today too. Nordstrom is my main go to for nice clothes so I was interested in what I would get. I got brands and clothes I had bought before but in newer styles. I kept one shirt, one jean, and one skirt. If I went on their website I probably would have ordered these exact things:)

I left very through feedback though so I'm hoping next time I order one maybe they'll be some better matches.

Price wise FYI the jeans were $68, the shirt $59 and the skirt $59.

• Like 1

That's interesting, Night Elf. It seemed like there would be a greater probability that you would keep more items, not less, since you had the previewing and the conversation.

I'm still looking forward to my next SF coming in mid September.

Also, I was thinking of putting up a new post about an ap I've just gotten called Stylebook. You use it like a clothing organizer. You take pictures (or use online pictures) of your clothes and then you can arrange them into Looks. It could help you buy the right thing to make a new outfit, or could help you remember that this shirt looks good with these pants and this pair of shoes, etc. you can also keep stats on your clothes like how much use you get out of certain pieces and what your "cost per wearing" is.

I just got the ap today and have been wasting the past few hours putting photos of my clothes in there! â˜ºï¸ But it's kind of fun to arrange my things into a Look, and I do think it would be interesting down the road to see my stats on certain pieces.

• Like 5

Also, I was thinking of putting up a new post about an ap I've just gotten called Stylebook. You use it like a clothing organizer. You take pictures (or use online pictures) of your clothes and then you can arrange them into Looks. It could help you buy the right thing to make a new outfit, or could help you remember that this shirt looks good with these pants and this pair of shoes, etc. you can also keep stats on your clothes like how much use you get out of certain pieces and what your "cost per wearing" is.

I just got the ap today and have been wasting the past few hours putting photos of my clothes in there! â˜ºï¸ But it's kind of fun to arrange my things into a Look, and I do think it would be interesting down the road to see my stats on certain pieces.

Why did you tell me this? Now that's what I'm going to be doing today!! 😊😊😊

• Like 1

Why did you tell me this? Now that's what I'm going to be doing today!! 😊😊😊

It's funny - when I do photography and start making corrections in Photoshop, I can fall down a rabbit hole for hours making miniscule corrections. This Stylebook ap does similarly. I spent an embarassing amount of time last night fixing my clothing photos and arranging them into Looks.

I'm so weird.

• Like 1

The brands I got from Trunk Club are good quality brands. I have owned all of them before and they hold up well. They are washable.

As for why I only kept three- she sent me 2 jeans, 2 skirts, 3 shirts and 1pair of shoes. Jeans are hard- I only liked one. I said what I liked in skirts and one was too similar to what I already owned. If I needed two skirts I would have kept both of these.

The shirts were kind of a let down. I said I needed low neck or v neck and I do not like the cold shoulder look on me. Only 1 shirt met my requests, and I kept that one.

There were two shoes in my original box and I would have kept one if I didn't already have ones very similar! You can't see the replacement ones or I would have vetoed those before they shipped.

So in my case, I guess I already have some good clothes. If I were really revamping my wardrobe I think I would have kept the other skirt and a pair of shoes.

I will put in a plug here again for Get Your Pretty On blog and shopping challenge. It's $39 for the shopping list and Facebook group. She has online links to 3 or 4 of each style in all price ranges and everything mixes and matches. The ladies on the private Facebook page post their outfits everyday and it's really helpful to see how they are wearing things. There's a wide range of ages and sizes on Facebook and lots of good ideas. I think the fall challenge opened today. It works really well to put together a capsule wardrobe and wear things from your closet in new ways. I've done it the past every other fall and I think that's why I have a good variety in my closet already.

http://stylechallenges.com/product/fall-2017-gypo-style

Edited to add link to GYPO style challenge.

Edited by lewber
  • Like 1

First, why I didn't buy more things. I put down that I wear a size Large. I buy that size because I like my tops loose and flowy. However, when a shirt is designed to be loose and flowy, you don't need a larger size. There were 3 shirts that didn't fit me because they were too large. That was my fault, not my stylist's fault. I did think about exchanging them but I've spent so much on clothing in the past few weeks that I decided I didn't really need these items and I'd wait for December to buy more.

I also got boyfriend jeans which I thought I'd like and I did. However, both DH and I were not sure because it's not my regular style. How much would I really wear them? I returned them because I couldn't guarantee I'd wear them enough to warrant the $78 price.

There was a skirt in there that when I saw the picture I really liked. However, when I put it on, I just didn't like it.

Then I got two pairs of shoes. One was a pair of black flats that were $80. I'm not paying that much for shoes. The second pair was Toms which is my most favorite shoe and I came really close to keeping them, but I really need black shoes and I don't think I need two pairs of new shoes right now, especially because I got a pair of Toms in my Stitch Fix box.

I kept 3 things. So that's a total of my 10 items.

Returns are as simple as Stitch Fix. UPS delivers Trunk Club. The box is extremely sturdy. It's sealed with two pieces of tape. You cut that tape to get into the box. Inside the box is an envelope with your packing invoice, a return shipping label, and two pieces of tape. You just put the tape over the old tape and put the return label on. You can schedule UPS to come pick up your box or drop it off at a UPS store. They really seem intent on having UPS pick it up. They suggested it in a few different places. My store is less than 5 minutes away so I'm just going to drop it off today.

• Like 1