Menu

Trauma Releasing Exercises -- Anyone here familiar with TRE?

MBM

TRE and somatic therapies have piqued my interest lately, especially after reading about and seeing accounts of the tremors in action and how individuals felt it helped them. I've read Berceli and am starting to read one of Levine's books. I am just curious about the topic in general. Actually, kind of in awe how they help some people.

Anyone have experience with these therapies?

Did my second night of Berceli's exercises and my spine had some mild tremors moving partially up my spine. Nothing major. These are fairly easy to do, btw, and don't take much time. The important moves seem to involve stretching and working the deep psoas muscle.

Night shift hive, have any of you tried these?

Interesting. Had not heard of these before. I'll have to look into it! Recently started reading about CranioSacral therapy, which is also fascinating!

It's very interesting. I did my third routine last night and had a lot of upper spine involvement but didn't feel emotionally different. It can take awhile to get to that point, though.

There was an older MD in Phoenix, I think? who did craniosacral therapy. He was amazing and charged very little for his services. Hospitals would send some of their sickest patients to him often with very good results.

• Like 1

I've done TRE quite a bit and worked through some Levine books, yes. You can pm me if you want to discuss. The more you do it, the more neural connections you make and the easier it gets. The intensity also really depends on what you're walking in with, frankly. Remember, these books are not defining trauma as stuff you didn't like or didn't enjoy. They're defining it as situations where your body thought you were literally going to DIE. So you can have sensory memory from before declarative memory, traumatic (where your life was in peril) experiences, all kinds of things come out. So people who were abused, assaulted, or who witnessed (even pre-declarative memory) these situations, people whose bodies have this stored trauma, can use it to release the effects.  I had long-standing, unexplainable health problems reverse on me with TRE. 

There are people using it in the autism community to lower stress levels and as a way to handle intense feelings. Levine's books can be paired with the book Interoception: The Eighth Sensory System: MS OTR-L Mahler, PhD A.D. "Bud" Craig: 9781942197140: Amazon.com: Books and some of the new mindfulness/self-regulation software like Mighteor. So you're going ok, how can we practice mindfulness, decrease stress, improve self-regulation... There's a lot of work being done on it right now.

• Like 2

Thanks for the resources. I will be looking into those.

I've been reading about trauma (Bessel van der Kolk, Bruce Perry, Berceli, Levine, etc.) and working with a group from my old reservation to help prevent mental health issues, especially suicides. Abuse is rampant. The professional help available there is practically non-existent--a whopping two-day visit per year from someone in Florida. We're trying to line up some well-qualified psychologists who will live there for a few years to offer therapy and set up programs. I live right by Northwestern U where they are setting up a Native American program so we're going to try to see if that can be expanded to include something from their psychology department.

I've been trying the exercises. Definitely interesting.

Edited by MBM
  • Like 1

You can get someone trained in TRE, doesn't have to be a psychologist. Sounds like you might want a licensed social worker instead, someone who is planning to spend time, do counseling. You could have a team of people, one person trained in TRE, one licensed social worker, and they could work together in a practice.

• Like 1

You can get someone trained in TRE, doesn't have to be a psychologist. Sounds like you might want a licensed social worker instead, someone who is planning to spend time, do counseling. You could have a team of people, one person trained in TRE, one licensed social worker, and they could work together in a practice.

This is a terrific suggestion and something I'm almost certain could work long term.

Thanks.