Menu

Apps for 3rd grader

Earthmerlin

Looking at my daughter's iPad recently, I realize nearly all her apps are from her preschool days. I'd like to replace them with more age-appropriate (& rigorous) ones & am looking for suggestions. She doesn't use it much but I prefer the apps to be educational or reinforcing of previous skills. Coding apps would be nice too. Math apps are desirable as well. Bonus points for those whose languages can be switched (we speak French & Spanish). Any ideas?

Edited by Earthmerlin

On my daughter's iPad:

- Presidents vs. Aliens - trivia game

- Stack the States - trivia game

- Stack the Countries - trivia game

- BrainPop - good quality informational videos, one free daily video or subscription

- Dragonbox Numbers - a bit young for her, but fun, this one focuses on constructing and deconstructing numbers within 20

- Dragonbox Big Numbers - fun game that practices adding and subtracting multi-digit numbers

- Dragonbox 5+ Or 12+ - intro to Algebra concepts in approachable game format, 5+ is meant for elementary kids, 12+ is for older elementary or middle school

- Dragonbox Elements - intro to geometry concepts

- Prodigy Math - player needs to answer wide range of math questions to cast spells to win battles (paid subscription option unlocks fun content, but doesn't change academics)

- DuoLingo - free foreign language learning app

- DIY - from DIY.org, kids earn badges for showing they can complete challenges, covers a wide range of topics

- Splice - video editor

- Tsuro - game the uses patterning and visual discrimination

- Monster Physics - elementary physics challenges, silly and fun graphics

- Tinybop's Human Body - human body/anatomy app

- Slice Fractions - fun fraction game

- Lightbot - beginning coding, easier than Scratch

- Tynker - beginning coding, very similar to Scratch

- Kindle - for reading library ebooks

And a bunch of games and pricey stuff like the Osmo and the Dash and Dot robots.

• Like 1

On my daughter's iPad:

- Presidents vs. Aliens - trivia game

- Stack the States - trivia game

- Stack the Countries - trivia game

- BrainPop - good quality informational videos, one free daily video or subscription

- Dragonbox Numbers - a bit young for her, but fun, this one focuses on constructing and deconstructing numbers within 20

- Dragonbox Big Numbers - fun game that practices adding and subtracting multi-digit numbers

- Dragonbox 5+ Or 12+ - intro to Algebra concepts in approachable game format, 5+ is meant for elementary kids, 12+ is for older elementary or middle school

- Dragonbox Elements - intro to geometry concepts

- Prodigy Math - player needs to answer wide range of math questions to cast spells to win battles (paid subscription option unlocks fun content, but doesn't change academics)

- DuoLingo - free foreign language learning app

- DIY - from DIY.org, kids earn badges for showing they can complete challenges, covers a wide range of topics

- Splice - video editor

- Tsuro - game the uses patterning and visual discrimination

- Monster Physics - elementary physics challenges, silly and fun graphics

- Tinybop's Human Body - human body/anatomy app

- Slice Fractions - fun fraction game

- Lightbot - beginning coding, easier than Scratch

- Tynker - beginning coding, very similar to Scratch

- Kindle - for reading library ebooks

And a bunch of games and pricey stuff like the Osmo and the Dash and Dot robots.

Wow, this is quite a list. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, folks! I loaded many apps, most of which are per your suggestions. Can anyone recommend one that teaches about nature? I'd also like to round out her selections with an app that teaches about famous artists & their style of art. Plus another that allows you to compose music. All this with an eye to a 3rd grader.