Menu

Help!!!

k&amom

Long time lurker, but first time posting. I need some help. My dd just started sixth grade this year. We used Saxon math 7/6 last year and it felt like it was pulling teeth all year. My plan was to do Saxon math 8/7 this year. We are seven lessons in, and I feel really drained already. Before last year we had used a bunch of different math curricula. We have used horizons, ( which I loved, she said was too hard) Abeka, (which I hated and she was ok with) Math Mammoth briefly, (we both hated) and CLE for third and fourth grade (She hated at first, but liked it better the second year.) I stopped using it because I had briefly talked to our local public school and they acted like it wasn't good enough, when I thought about enrolling her in public school. I figured Saxon would be better because it is more widely recognized. My dd is not what I would consider mathy. When I gave her the Saxon placement test she tested into math 7/6 after finishing cle math 4. She needs review. Mastery is a disaster for her. I just want her to like math. I just feel like everyday when I pull out the math book I can see her shutting down internally. Should I go back to CLE? I have also heard that Lial's BCM is good for building confidence and filling in any holes. Should I try that, if so what edition? I think that my dd will freak out with the word college in the title though. Or should I just stick out Saxon? I am also open to other suggestions as well. On a side note she is very moody and everything gets under her skin right now.

She might just be rejecting everything you were doing because she just does not like math. However, most of your choices are not ones I would've chosen.

No she does not like math. I feel I have made a huge mess with her. Saxon was appealing though because it went all the way through calculus. It just does not seem like it is going to work. I am asking what I should do from this point forward.

In this case I would try a video/DVD math program like Chalkdust, where YOU are taken out of the picture (except for checking her work), the lessons are presented by a knowledgeable instructor and can be paused and re-watched as much as needed w/o the instructor getting mad about it (being a recording). :-) I would 100% give it a try.

• Like 1