Menu

History Unboxed?

ExcitedMama

We just started with it. Each month has a little book (maybe 8 full-sized pages) with the history of the group, a map, and directions for the projects. There is also the 'letter' from the kids who went back in time and a coloring page. What is nice is that everything that you need for the projects (except perishable food) is included. I'd love to be a crafty mom, but I'm not. I know that I won't go buy the supplies and get it all organized to do a project. With this, I don't have to buy anything except groceries if we decide to do a recipe.

We've done one kit, and wove a basket and added clay in a particular style to decorate a pot, and we tried the included snack item. For next month, there is a recipe for salt-curing lemons, which are used in a recipe, a CD of music and stories (storytelling is big in the culture) and a weaving project. the kits also sometimes recommend something supplemental that you can add (in this kit, it tells you how to dye the yarn if you want it to be colored for the weaving).

Some people would say that its expensive for what you get - I could buy the craft supplies cheaper. But, my kids like the projects and it is definitely worth it to me to have the kits show up at my house. We chose to get one kit for the kids to share - my kids are 8 and 11, and we got the kit for older kids because my history-loving older kid liked the idea of having more to read. The coloring page goes to the 8yo, and they each do part of the project.

• Like 1