Menu

8th grade history questions

jelder227

I am first year homeschooling an 8th grader.  History is probably his least favorite subject, though he has always done well at it.  I don't get that, as I always did poorly in the subjects I disliked.

That being said, what to do?   I understand the importance of knowing and understanding history, but I am lost as to curriculum.  He isn't fond of reading, so a traditional textbook would be a nightmare.

I found IXL, and I think he would get through that format well, but I need something with some form of quizzes or tests to make certain he stays engaged and isn't just "surfing" across the material.

Any suggestions?

I would probably start him on Reading Like A Historian while you read Teaching What Really Happened.  Reading Like A Historian is a free program where students take primary sources and analyze them to answer questions.  It's the more science-y part of history study - finding logical conclusions based on the facts presented.  Since he has to be fully engaged, no tests are necessary.  Teaching What Really Happened helps you apply the same format to more personal studies/branching out from the few sources per lesson given in RLAH.

Personally, I'd spend time figuring out what he loves and spend 8th grade getting him to love history through that topic. Is he into airplanes? Study the history of flight. Is he into ballet? Study the history of dance. Into science and technology? Lots of opportunities there.

I feel like 8th grade is still your chance to do whatever you want, and you have a ripe opportunity to get him to really love history. We love history at our house, and I'm not sure my daughter could blurt out the names of any Important Men or Dates. We look at social history, history of the people, lessons we can learn as it applies to today's culture. There are so many ways to look at history, and if people think it's just about Important Things People Tell Me I Should Learn it can feel super dry and boring.

• Like 1

Whatever you do, I would add projects and hands on. 

Mine are in high school and in 8th grade this year. Along with all of their bookwork (no tests here. They write papers instead of testing...) we are building a gigantic medieval castle with co-op friends. I just picked up giant boxes and cardboard tubes that are paper roll ends that will be parts of it from a printing company that was giving away extra items.  They will work on this when studying castles and castle life. Since they are older, I will expect some research and artistic details to it.