Menu

Help! Grammar advice needed (also history and science)

jelder227

I am a "brand new" homeschool parent.  I am pulling my son out because I realized while he aced his standardized test in math, his grammar and writing skills are barely at grade level.  And this is having been in pre-AP!   Of course, he always had homework in math, and guess who mostly taught him math . .

Anyway, as language arts are not his love, I am not looking for a literature/comprehension focus this year.  If I try to do too much, he'll hate it.  So I am just going to have him read some every day and discuss what he has read with me.

I want a fairly in depth grammar text which includes extensive diagramming (IMO, diagramming works well for the math geek brain).  Parts of a sentence, punctuation, all that fun stuff.   I also want to start him on Latin/Greek elements.

Any suggestions?

I am going to guess on age....upper middle/high school?

Harvey's Elementary Grammar is a nice, older text that has a workbook available as well.  You also might like The First Whole Book Of Diagrams as a supplement, which teaches slowly but effectively through examples.  The first page will have a dozen subject/predicate examples diagrammed: Birds fly. Trees grow.  Dogs run.  And so on.  The next page is entirely blank except for the diagram lines.  Make a copy for student practice.  The following lesson adds articles in the same pattern: The girl read. An apple falls.  By the end of the book complex sentences are diagrammed with ease.

Since you want to start with Latin/Greek elements (but not a full program?), and he's not a fan anyway, try starting off with Rummy Roots and then finding a worktext after he is comfortable with many of the roots.

You didn't say how old your son is or what grade he's in, but assuming he is in late elementary or middle school Harvey's Elementary Grammar would probably work well for you. It is very straightforward but thorough. It is also broken down into smallish bite size lessons that aren't overwhelming. It is an older book so you can google the name to find it online if you want a look at it. If you decide to use it I would recommend buying a copy from Amazon. Mott Media has a very nice copy for a reasonable price. I believe that they also have some additional teacher's materials to go with it.

Memoria Press has a two level Latin and Greek roots program. You can find the first level here: https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/latin/roots-english/

But I wonder, have you considered having him study Latin, not just the roots but the whole language? It is great for English grammar and logical thinking. There are many good programs out there for kids. Memoria Press has good program, it's fully scripted so you would be able to teach it even if you aren't familiar with Latin yourself and it wouldn't require a lot of prep from you. I'm sure others can recommend other programs as well.

Ooops - basic essential facts, yes he is entering 8th grade.  This is why I was so perturbed by 5 sentence run ons with NO transitions.  Latin, well, my darling mother made me take 2 years in high school, so I should be able to follow along, even though the main thing I remember is amo, amas, amat.  Oh, and "Latin is a dead language, dead as dead can be, first it killed the Romans, and now it's killing me."  I wasn't a fan, but it is valuable.

SilverMoon - Thank you for the pointer on science.  I will check that out, because he is definitely STEM.  Plans to attend Texas A&M for some form of animal sciences, which is another reason for Latin/Greek elements introduction anyway.

eagleynne and HomeAgain - Thank you for the pointers. I am wanting to go with a textbook/workbook setup, so I will go check those out!

Yes, I agree with Silver Moon.... either Rod and Staff or Analytical Grammar.  However I feel you might have better luck with Analytical Grammar if he hasn't had many years of formal grammar it might be hard placing him in the Rod and Staff even though its great.  Analytical Grammar would be great because it is complete and you can go at your pace.  HTH :)

beka87 - TYSM!!!!   That appears to be EXACTLY what I was looking for.  I think that has solved the "klutzy" feeling I had about that part of his curriculum.  Here's hoping this very "scientific" approach to language manages to get over my little STEM geek's objections to writing a proper sentence!