Menu

Esthetician School?

marbel

First, I want to acknowledge that my computer and my brain want me to spell it aesthetician but it seems that the A is not used in this context.

My daughter, who was always going to study art, has started to talk about esthetician school instead.  She has a little over a semester's worth of credit toward an Associate's degree in fine art at our local CC (thanks to dual enrollment) and is enrolled full time this fall.  She had a plan to transfer to a 4-year university.  If she finishes her AA, she has guaranteed admission to several universities as a transfer student; two of those have already accepted her to their art schools based on a portfolio review.

But, she hates school.  She has always hated school and is not academic at all.  And, she (and I) have come to realize that she doesn't do a lot of art in her spare time. She does study makeup and skin care though. She really enjoys it.  She's good at it.  

Now, I wish she had thought about this 2 years ago, because the local vo-tech high school has a program. But, too late for that now.  

She is doing her research (best schools, financial aid, if she can use the funds we have in a 529 plan for tuition, etc) but if anyone has anything to say about esthetician school, good or bad, or the career itself, I'd love to hear it. 

Thanks!

I worked as a receptionist at Spa Sydell in Atlanta (like 22 years ago) but the estheticians there made very good money. I definitely think where you go to school and where you end up working (and living) plays a huge role in your income. There is money to made in that field though for sure.

• Like 2

SweetChild is starting school in September. She is only interested in doing makeup and skin care, and so is not going for her full cosmetologist license. Also not wanting to do a twomyear or four year degree.

VoTech in high school would not have been paid for anyway... plus it would have been the full program, taking three years going part-time on the school district's schedule, which might barely have been worth it but doesn't matter for us now either.

Going full time, it is a 10-week program to complete the required 300 hours, then there is the licensure exam. She'll be finished before Christmas. She will then start a 2-semester, 18 credit entrepreneurship certificate program at the community college.

She's good... she has been stopped at Ulta and asked who did her makeup and what palettes she's wearing. She has done Prom and stage makeup for friends, including the lead (Beauty) for a neighboring school district. It soothes her, and makes her happy, the same as doing art and painting. Her MUA Instagram got over 100 followers in three days.

My career advice (I've had my cosmetology license for 30 years) is to take business classes! At the very least, personal finance. I have watched some of the most talented people go broke because they didn't have the business skills. Aim to work or open a salon in neighborhoods that can support expensive services, as business will be more steady. She can always travel to other locations for various services. Make friends with photographers to do makeup for Seniors and weddings. Show a lot of variety in your portfolio- older ladies, little girls (think flower girls/wedding parties) and men! Oh, the transformation of waxing that half-inch connecting a unibrow!

A specific esthetician program is going to give better training in those areas. Many cosmetologists do makeup or nails, but what little training we got in our general program was basically just how to pass that portion of the state board exam.

Good? It can have very flexible hours. It's awesome to make money doing what you love. You often get to see people at their happiest moments- senior portraits, weddings, proms.

Bad? Some clients are jerks, pervs, or weirdos. Most often work on commission, which means no appointments = no money. You need to be available at times people typically need the services- Holidays, weekends, summers. Some salon owners are either uneducated or shady in their business practices, most common for me was insisting I was an independent contractor (so they could save on taxes) but expecting me to behave like an employee (so they got a free receptionist etc.). Know the laws!

• Like 1

I have a few thoughts from what people I've known said:

One is that at the beginning, you typically won't make a lot of money until you build up some clients.  It can be good if its possible to live frugally at that time.

It is something where it can be possible to earn a little on the side, or have a small business in  a small town or big city, so it can be flexible that way.

It helps if you enjoy and are energized be interacting with people.  I worked with a baker who had been a hair-stylist at one time - she went into baking after realizing she found it too hard to talk to people all day.  

Some people do really well with it - my mom's hairstylist is richer than she is and she is quite well off - he ran for mayor of our city a while ago and did pretty well.

• Like 2

I imagine location is really important, with the best money and job security to be made in larger metropolitan areas or resort-type places that have spas. The best locations would likely serve the clientele such as professionals who need services and are too busy to do it themselves and have the cash to spend on it. I would think being trained in a few areas would make sense - not everyone wants a cosmetologist, but many, many people get their nails and waxing done professionally.

• Like 1