Menu

Mosdos Pearl Student Workbook, missing Unit 4?

sweetpea3829

Ok, weirdest thing.

My Mosdos Pearl student workbook is missing Unit 4.  I don't have the student textbooks in yet, so I had to go online and look at the ToC on Rainbow to see if the textbooks have Unit 4, and they do...it appears to be a Poetry unit.  Am I missing something?  Is there a reason why the workbook skips that entire unit?

I did not purchase the Teacher Guides, but I'm starting to think maybe I should?  

I'm new to Mosdos Press this year, and I'm using Coral and Jade.  Jade has an entire poetry section in the student text, but no correlating student workbook pages.

Maybe Mosdos just doesn't include poetry workbook pages at all?

I'm just guessing, as I haven't seen Pearl in person.

You want the TG. It is stuffed full of good info. We did Pearl last year. There are no workbook pages for the poetry.  However, Pearl is thew best workbook. The mini originals are unique to that level and awesome!

Would you mind sharing how you ran the program?  I typically try to break a curriculum down into the 30 weeks that we run our main school year, but am having a hard time making this one fit, lol.  

I confirmed with Mosdos last year that the workbook didn't have any Poetry pages.

We used Jade daily and got through it much sooner than I thought from looking at the contents originally. But, we also ditched the workbook and focused on reading, thinking about questions in the student text and used the TG a lot for guiding deeper discussions.

Ok. Excluding the poetry Unit, we aimed for 2.5 to 3 stories a week depending on length and amount of workbook pages.

Normally, I would have my son do the vocab pages using the boxes at the bottom of the story or the book's glossary before we read the story.We would then read the story that same day and discuss it using the questions scattered throughout the story in the Teacher's Guide (We would pause at the end of each page for this while alternating reading paragraphs aloud. My son has autism, so you we did thing on a less independent path.) and in the book at the end of the story. The next day we would do the graphic organizer together and he would complete the mini original and comprehension questions (sometimes only select ones) alone.  We never did the creative writing assignments because my son has writing challenges. Something to remember is that you do not need to do everything for every story in the workbook. Some things may be more useful to your child. There were also a handful of stories that did not hold his interest at all that we skipped in part or in entirety (less than 5). Some stories were shorter and/ or had fewer workbook pages, so we covered those entirely in just one day. You will get a rhythm going once you get into it.

We chose to read and discuss the poetry unit as part of our morning basket routine. My kid has a hard time with the abstract, so making it an easy, laid back part of our day reduced stress.

We finished the whole book minus the last story in a standard school public school year (my younger son attends public school, so we follow their calendar).

You could assign some of the writing assignments as part of a separate writing time of your day instead of using a separate writing curriculum like I did. My kid really lags on the writing, so I had to use remedial material.

Happy to answer any additional questions you may have.

Robin

• Like 2

We did not feel it necessary to finish teh book in one year, so we did about 30 stories, and will finish the book in 7th grade this year.  Unit 4 has no student pages, so we will do a unit of poetry- one poem per day- while reading another novel.  If you break it up over 2 school years, it gives a lot more time to spend doing other novels.  We did finish the other books in the series in one school year, but Pearl is a much larger book, with a lot more in it.  I really like it, and felt like doing too many stories per week would be rushing it, and would take up more of our day than I wanted to spend on it.  I also like the writing assignments, and sometimes want to spend longer on those, too.  My routine for the week is vocabulary on day 1, read story, do story organizer and questions on day 2, writing portion on day 3, and the mini-original on day 4.  I want it to take 20 minutes or so per day- more on day 2 b/c there is a little more to do, mostly independent work, with a little talking about the literary devices or story line.  

• Like 3

We did not feel it necessary to finish teh book in one year, so we did about 30 stories, and will finish the book in 7th grade this year.  Unit 4 has no student pages, so we will do a unit of poetry- one poem per day- while reading another novel.  If you break it up over 2 school years, it gives a lot more time to spend doing other novels.  We did finish the other books in the series in one school year, but Pearl is a much larger book, with a lot more in it.  I really like it, and felt like doing too many stories per week would be rushing it, and would take up more of our day than I wanted to spend on it.  I also like the writing assignments, and sometimes want to spend longer on those, too.  My routine for the week is vocabulary on day 1, read story, do story organizer and questions on day 2, writing portion on day 3, and the mini-original on day 4.  I want it to take 20 minutes or so per day- more on day 2 b/c there is a little more to do, mostly independent work, with a little talking about the literary devices or story line.  

I'm such a box checker, I'm not sure I can survive not finishing the curriculum in one year, lol.  But...if I take a deep breath and just let it go...maybe.  I do like your idea of breaking it up over 2 years while studying other novels.  One of the things I really enjoyed about our previous LA approach is that it was based wholly on novels, whichever ones I chose.  I don't recognize any of these short stories from either the Opal or Pearl Mosdos book.  So I know I'll miss having our novels.  

In any case, I found the TG for Pearl used on Amazon so once that arrives I'll have a better idea of how I want it to run.  I'm still looking for Opal TG used.  

Tell me more about how you ran the poetry unit.  Or are planning on running it.  Will you just read it?  Discuss it using the TG?  Require your kiddos to memorize some of them?