Menu

Basics for making homemade cards...

Mama Geek

Years ago I remember getting together with a group of ladies and spending the afternoon making cards.  It was fun, someone else organized it and had the supplies and know how.  Fast forward to now, I am tired of paying way too much for cards from Walmart or wherever else and would like to try making them again.  My 7 year old loves to make cards and even adds pop outs to them sometimes that she makes.  Really great for a 7 year old.  We have some supplies...lt blue card stock, stickers, stamps, scissors, elmer's glue, construction paper, gift wrapping ribbon, construction paper, rulers, markers, crayons, pens, etc.

I would like a couple pair of the scissors that create patterned edges, maybe a paper cutter, some pretty card stock to add to the blue.  Should I add anything else to my wish list?  Can anyone recommend a website or a book that is really good for getting started?

I am not super crafty, but can follow directions pretty well.

My daughter makes all her own cards for us. She gets ideas off of Pinterest and has done some really lovely cards. Unfortunately I can't seem to attach photos to these posts because they are too big.

But, for example, she made a card for me by photocopying some pages from my favorite book, and then cutting flowers out of them so you could see the words, and putting them sort of 3D on the cover of the card. It was just lovely.

She makes them as her Christmas gifts for the family (doesn't have a job and no $ so this is her gift.) 

She uses colored pencils, watercolors, and she particularly likes those scrapbooking felt-tip pens (markers I guess) that are very fine but don't bleed thru like Sharpies. I can't remember the type, exactly. 

• Like 2

I make cards sometimes. I have a number of scissors with the different edge shapes. I got a set of 4 from Amazon and then recently ran across some at Walmart that were ringing up .25 each, but I haven't seen them since. Here's the Amazon set I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006L2VBHW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (keep an eye on the price, it may go down)

I like to make cards, but I don't get that fancy. I just print images from the internet and color them or draw my own. Sometimes I use rubber stamps. I buy them on clearance at Michael's. Like, I bought holiday ones when they were marked down.

I mostly use my sharpies or other markers for decorating. Sometimes I will coordinate the card to look like the packaging if it's attached to a gift. Like, a little girl that likes leopards had a birthday. I printed a picture of a leopard and made leopard spots with my sharpie on her gift bag lol.

For store cards you can usually find 50 cent ones at Family Dollar. Dollar General has cheap ones, too.

My daughter makes all her own cards for us. She gets ideas off of Pinterest and has done some really lovely cards. Unfortunately I can't seem to attach photos to these posts because they are too big.

But, for example, she made a card for me by photocopying some pages from my favorite book, and then cutting flowers out of them so you could see the words, and putting them sort of 3D on the cover of the card. It was just lovely.

She makes them as her Christmas gifts for the family (doesn't have a job and no $ so this is her gift.) 

She uses colored pencils, watercolors, and she particularly likes those scrapbooking felt-tip pens (markers I guess) that are very fine but don't bleed thru like Sharpies. I can't remember the type, exactly. 

I don't know if this is what she uses, but I did buy these for scrapbooking. Personally, I do not like using them on cards because when I addressed several envelopes in green for Christmas the ink started drying up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GJOA2W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1