Menu

2nd and 6th grade

~Sunny~

Im not sure if this is the correct place to post.  I am taking my 2nd grader from PS and putting her back in HS this year. I am looking for feedback in Saxon math. 

Also, I am needing ideas for Language, Phonics, Reading and Spelling.  I was hoping to find something that would be enforced with possibly online games. I have math online game to make it more fun but would love to find something for Language.

6th grade...looking for a good Language?? I am not found of Abeka. I am frustrated with some of the Languages out there that constantly having to diagram. I have no idea if there is anything out there without all the diagramming but if so I would like to find it. Also would love online game to enforce it as well if possible. 

Edited by ~Sunny~

Im not sure if this is the correct place to post.  I am taking my 2nd grader from PS and putting her back in HS this year. I am looking for feedback in Saxon math. 

Also, I am needing ideas for Language, Phonics, Reading and Spelling.  I was hoping to find something that would be enforced with possibly online games. I have math online game to make it more fun but would love to find something for Language.

6th grade...looking for a good Language?? I am not found of Abeka. I am frustrated with some of the Languages out there that constantly having to diagram. I have no idea if there is anything out there without all the diagramming but if so I would like to find it. Also would love online game to enforce it as well if possible. 

For your younger dc, Spalding would cover phonics, reading, spelling, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, all in one fell swoop. 

Many people like the primary Saxon materials; surely some of them will pop in with comments. :-)

For your older dc, if you're looking for grammar and writing, my recommendation would be Easy Grammar Plus, and Writing Strands, Level 4. Easy Grammar does not do diagramming.

For your younger dc, Spalding would cover phonics, reading, spelling, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, all in one fell swoop. 

Many people like the primary Saxon materials; surely some of them will pop in with comments. :-)

For your older dc, if you're looking for grammar and writing, my recommendation would be Easy Grammar Plus, and Writing Strands, Level 4. Easy Grammar does not do diagramming.

No diagramming for Easy Grammar? That is what my son did last year I think and it was lots of diagramming.  I will double check but I am pretty sure that was it. 

I'm giving BJU English a try this fall. Very little diagramming. I like that it switiches from grammar to writing. Nice coverage of both. 

http://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/category/english-writing-grammar

Veritas Press has an online option for their Phonics Museum course.

http://phonicsmuseum.com

www.starfall.com is always popular and fun.

As for Saxon Math, all my kids hate Saxon with a passion. They like BJU better, but if that is not your cuppa, have you looked at CLE Math? It is similar to Saxon {spiral, kid-directed past 200} without the need for a boatload of manipulatives and copying. It was my older guys favorite math. 

https://www.clp.org/store/by_subject/4

Good luck finding what fits for your kiddos.

Edited by Paradox5

No diagramming for Easy Grammar? That is what my son did last year I think and it was lots of diagramming.  I will double check but I am pretty sure that was it. 

No. Easy Grammar does NOT include diagramming. Not even a little tiny bit. Maybe there's another product with a similar name that diagrams. :-)

For 2nd grade next year for LA my son will be doing English Lessons Through Literature (ELTL) 2, Writing With Ease (WWE) 2 and First Language Lessons (FLL) 2. There's definitely overlap between ELTL and WWE/FLL, really FLL and WWE are meant to go together but I couldn't decide on which one to leave out and both teach somewhat differently and DS does the written work quickly. He is doing All About Spelling (AAS) 3 now and the first levels of those books all together LA is about thirty minutes so it's very quick. AAS is really great.

• Like 1

No. Easy Grammar does NOT include diagramming. Not even a little tiny bit. Maybe there's another product with a similar name that diagrams. :-)

He has been doing One Day Academy and doing Palows English with Easy Grammer. I will church into other Easy Grammers

Edited by ~Sunny~

I'm giving BJU English a try this fall. Very little diagramming. I like that it switiches from grammar to writing. Nice coverage of both.

http://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/category/english-writing-grammar

Veritas Press has an online option for their Phonics Museum course.

http://phonicsmuseum.com

www.starfall.com is always popular and fun.

As for Saxon Math, all my kids hate Saxon with a passion. They like BJU better, but if that is not your cuppa, have you looked at CLE Math? It is similar to Saxon {spiral, kid-directed past 200} without the need for a boatload of manipulatives and copying. It was my older guys favorite math.

https://www.clp.org/store/by_subject/4

Good luck finding what fits for your kiddos.

My older ones have used Saxon with their math teacher. My oldest is fixing to go into Algebra 2 and is doing well so far. My 12 year old was doing it up until last year with the same teacher up until he started PS. We will see how he does this year!

As for StarFall my DD loved it in PS this last year! I didn't think it went above 1st grade though??

• 2 weeks later...

I have three levels of Easy Grammar and none of them have diagramming. :)

There are several online options for reading and spelling (reading eggs, nessy, etc). I wish one of those had worked out for my son but he doesn't have patience for nonsense and they are pretty elementary and silly. My youngest would have loved them but honestly, she doesn't need it. She's in second grade too. Spelling city is wonderful and inexpensive.

We didn't like Saxon here either. 

Saxon math is a good, spiral traditional program that incrementally builds on concepts.  Its pros are that it is a scripted book for teachers making it very easy to use and that it uses manipulatives that provide a lot of hands on learning.  The cons for us are that it is in black and white with too much fact drill.  I also did not like the order they presented math facts with some random groupings.  By grade 3, it left my visual son in tears, and we went to something with more color.  The older grades are written completely differently with a text written to the student by a different author.  The student would write out 25 problems on notebook every day without a workbook.  There is a new intermediate level that provides more workbooks.  I would consider only doing one side of the workbooks as it is meant that side b be homework for school students.  It is overkill to do both, imho.

As far as language arts, Shurley and MCT do not use diagramming.  CAP starts out with a labeling system and then builds to diagramming.  All are solid programs, but very different.