Menu

What's your best recipe for pie crust?

The one with vodka from Cook's Illustrated. My boys make that one and it's great. I will say that it can be disturbing to other patrons in the liquor store (we are in PA...gad...if you want wine or liquor you must go to a state store) to hear a relatively small child say, "Mom, don't forget. I need vodka tonight."

Ria

Here's the one I got from my mother - very easy to make!

4 cups flour

1 ¾ cups butter

1 Tbsp salt

½ cup water

1 egg

1 Tbsp vinegar

Blend together flour, butter and salt. In a small bowl mix water, egg and vinegar. Add to the flour mixture. Mix until well combined.

Make four single balls and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill before using. Each ball = one single crust.

Refrigerate for two days or freeze. Thaw in the refrigerator one day before using. (I usually double this recipe and freeze them in single balls.)

Just remember: "For a pie crust worth its weight in gold, keep your main ingredients cold!!" (that comes from some Holly Hobby or something sheets I had on my bed as a child, but I find it to be absolutely true!)

I use the recipe in the Joy of Cooking and it is fantastic. I don't have time to type it out for you right now, but you can PM me if you want it.