Menu

Offline resources for learning coding

Any recommended resources for kids who want to learn coding but won't have internet regularly? Is our best option something like the Usborne beginning python book and just downloading python? Or are there any good programs you can download that will help you learn?

We already have the downloadable scratch, but would like something that gives you projects to work on or challenges to solve. We're looking for something on a computer that we could download (some cost is ok) and then just use offline.

This isn't an answer to your specific question, but if you have an Apple store near you, see what classes they offer. Even if their Apple coding camp is full you may be able to attend one of their workshops. Ds went to one the other day. He got to program Sphero, a rolling robot ball. They just had the kids try to make the ball weave through a few rows of a maze. It was free. It was neat.

Python Crash Course by Eric Mathes and Python For Kids by Jason R Briggs are both available as ebooks.

You could download Python if you haven't already, and just let the kid/s work through the problems and exercises as they go.

I can send you some assignments and solutions from my undergrad Python subject as well if you like. PM me your email address if you're interested.

ETA: MOOCs at Coursera and EdX tend to have download options for the video lectures, so that might be another way to access some decent instructional videos.

Edited by Pegs