Menu

Plan for elementary science

lulalu

I do not live where I have access to an English library. And the libraries here do not have much non-fiction.

I am wanting to figure out something for science that I can plan for grades 1-4/5.

BFSU seems like people really like it. Would it be too hard wothout a library?

Any suggestions for books to buy that will have a little bit about all the different areas of science?

I highly recommend Science in the Beginning. It teaches very well and unlike everything else I've tried requires no outside supplemental reading material. The text is easy to read AND understand, then there's a short experiment/demonstration that shows the concept and a little more text to discuss it. It's a science that really explains concepts hands on. There's also a separate kit with supplies if they would be hard to find where you are. It's based around the concept of the first seven days of creation so it begins with light, then water and so on, so it goes through a lot of concepts instead of sticking with only one. It's hands down our favorite. My DS loves science so I've tried a lot of options and bought BFSU based on the reviews but it's firmly on the shelf. It seems hard to execute and not written for the science averse like me!

• Like 1

We loved BFSU.  We used the Kingfisher or Usborne Science Encyclopedia, and lots of online videos.

Agreed. You can definitely use BFSU without a library. Honestly, the one thing I did not find very useful in BFSU was the book recommendations. They are due for some updating, in my opinion. However, they are purely supplemental and all the information you need to present is in the text itself. DK also has a nice Visual Encyclopedia of Science.

• Like 2

I found the booklist in BFSU to be integral to the whole process.  While my first search would be for those named books, I would also do a general search on the same topic and get those books as well.   These were short picture books that we read once and returned the next day.  If I had to pay for them, it would have been brutal.  

I agree on getting some sort of science encyclopedia for children.  You can probably get by showing your students websites on the relevant topics.  

• Like 1