Menu

Shurley users...before I make my purchase

MyLife

DS 7 completed Shurley 1 this school year easily. He likes Shurley and wants to continue with it. Shurley 2 does not seem to add much new information, but skipping to Shurley 3 seems like a big jump. I asked my son would he rather review more and learn a few news things in Shurley 2 or would he rather review less and learn more new information in Shurley 3. He chose Shurley 3.

Is this a good idea or bad idea?

I will add that the one thing to consider is his writing ability. If you plan to use their writing too, they have you writing five paragraph essays in second grade. This was a lot of writing for my oldest, and my second son would have broken down into tears at Shurley 2 even. You may want to alter some of the writing instruction and handwriting required for a second grader.

My youngest is the only one who used Shurley. He adored Shurley 1 and wanted to keep doing it. Shurley 3 in third grade (8 year old boy turning 9 in the middle of the school year) was just plain impossible for him because of the writing so we geeked out on handwriting and copywork last year instead.

My Shurley 3 is not for sale even if we go for Easy Grammar instead in fourth grade. I could easily see using it with a 12/13/15 year old with a bit of minor tweaking.

I could also see using the same (probably higher grade than 3) Shurley more than once and having your kid learn new things the way adults do when they reread their favourite books at different stages of life. I could also see using one level of Shurley with a multiage sibling group and saying,"That's all for you, Johnny, Ronnie, Donnie, and Lonnie. You go do your math now while Susie and Lucy and Richard and Esther and Thomas and I finish up our big kid Shurley now."

Also, from a purely financial standpoint, a lot of the people who say they skip years with Shurley should be a bit clearer about the fact that they mean one level of Shurley can last two years so you don't have to come up with that huge cash outlay every.single.year.

I know it's embarrassing to say in public because you're afraid people are going to think your fifth grader is using a fourth grade text because they're special needs or because you aren't a good enough parent but come on, folks, she stated in her thread title that this isn't petty cash for HER and it isn't for me either and that's the only reason why my youngest is the only one who ever was lucky enough to have the chance to do Shurley!

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I will add that the one thing to consider is his writing ability. If you plan to use their writing too, they have you writing five paragraph essays in second grade. This was a lot of writing for my oldest, and my second son would have broken down into tears at Shurley 2 even. You may want to alter some of the writing instruction and handwriting required for a second grader.

I ran into this even in Level 1. It was challenging for my son to write a seven sentence paragraph. So, he didn't do every writing assignment in Shurley. He used WWE 1 instead.

My youngest is the only one who used Shurley. He adored Shurley 1 and wanted to keep doing it. Shurley 3 in third grade (8 year old boy turning 9 in the middle of the school year) was just plain impossible for him because of the writing so we geeked out on handwriting and copywork last year instead.

My Shurley 3 is not for sale even if we go for Easy Grammar instead in fourth grade. I could easily see using it with a 12/13/15 year old with a bit of minor tweaking.

I could also see using the same (probably higher grade than 3) Shurley more than once and having your kid learn new things the way adults do when they reread their favourite books at different stages of life. I could also see using one level of Shurley with a multiage sibling group and saying,"That's all for you, Johnny, Ronnie, Donnie, and Lonnie. You go do your math now while Susie and Lucy and Richard and Esther and Thomas and I finish up our big kid Shurley now."

Also, from a purely financial standpoint, a lot of the people who say they skip years with Shurley should be a bit clearer about the fact that they mean one level of Shurley can last two years so you don't have to come up with that huge cash outlay every.single.year.

I know it's embarrassing to say in public because you're afraid people are going to think your fifth grader is using a fourth grade text because they're special needs or because you aren't a good enough parent but come on, folks, she stated in her thread title that this isn't petty cash for HER and it isn't for me either and that's the only reason why my youngest is the only one who ever was lucky enough to have the chance to do Shurley!

So the skip progression really works like this....1,1,3,3,5,5,7,7?

Maybe I do buy level 3 and use it for 2 years.