Menu

Can't find the recent Lyme threads, so...

EMS83

My daughter was tested for Lyme a couple of weeks ago and I can't tell if the results were good or bad.  With the Western Blot test she got 3 bands (1 in one category and 2 in the other).  Am I correct in thinking this isn't a "positive" but it's not a "negative" either?  The bite was about 3-4 weeks ago.  It was on for less than 24 hours, though.  I'm not sure what to think of all of that, nor whether I should dole out the $$ for the various immune-boosting stuff that might help (supplements, essential oils, probiotics).  I'd rather that before jumping to the heavy duty antibiotics, but still.  $$.

Based on what I know (not much), I think chances are slim she has it, but the results confuse me.  I'm still in the trying-to-interpret-medical-jargon phase.  I've actually had Lyme, but remember absolutely nothing about the diagnosis aspect of it except being in the doctor's office.

Thoughts, observations, experiences welcome.  Prayers also welcome! 

Edited because formatting, lol.

Edited by CES2005

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to Lyme (daughter diagnosed in February) and am sure that others who are more experienced will chime in with more info.

Many people I know in the Lyme community would say, if you have a tick bite, treat it like it's Lyme. Bottom line is that tests are not reliable. If you can treat it in this early stage, you will save your daughter a lot of potential problems in the long run. If you're not opposed to antibiotics, then Doxy (or another antibiotic, depending on her age) taken for two months would likely take care of it.

My two cents: this isn't anything to fool with. I would treat it as if it's Lyme and begin treatment ASAP.

Hugs and prayers.

• Like 2

Which bands were positive?

ETA: these are Lyme specific - 18, 23, 31, 34, 37, 39, 83 and 93. Your lab may or may not have tested for all of those, but if any are positive it means evidence of exposure and enough for clinical diagnosis.

I'm sick tonight, but hopefully someone with more energy will pop in soon. All I can say is don't try to treat it yourself with supplements. This is a time when abx are warranted, if it's Lyme.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 3

The doctor wants the Blot redone in 4-6 weeks; the supplements and such are for the interim (also recommended by the doctor).  She sort of straddles the line between alternative and conventional, and uses both, which I like.  

Two 41 bands and one 66 were present.  Also another test indicated a past mycoplasma infection?  Researching.

But essentially, this is enough to assume there has been exposure?

My daughter was tested for Lyme a couple of weeks ago and I can't tell if the results were good or bad.  With the Western Blot test she got 3 bands (1 in one category and 2 in the other).  Am I correct in thinking this isn't a "positive" but it's not a "negative" either?  The bite was about 3-4 weeks ago.  It was on for less than 24 hours, though.  I'm not sure what to think of all of that, nor whether I should dole out the $$ for the various immune-boosting stuff that might help (supplements, essential oils, probiotics).  I'd rather that before jumping to the heavy duty antibiotics, but still.  $$.

Based on what I know (not much), I think chances are slim she has it, but the results confuse me.  I'm still in the trying-to-interpret-medical-jargon phase.  I've actually had Lyme, but remember absolutely nothing about the diagnosis aspect of it except being in the doctor's office.

Thoughts, observations, experiences welcome.  Prayers also welcome! 

Edited because formatting, lol.

Okay mama:

1. Which lab did the test?

2. Which bands?

Some are lyme specific, some are less so.  The lab matters too - were bands 31 & 34 included in the bands?

ETA: 

Read the replies.  So your ++ sign is not two separate positives but a "stronger" positive than just +.  So 41 is not Lyme specific but spirochete positive.  

http://www.stopthelymelies.com/lyme-disease-101/how-to-decipher-igenex-results

So I am amending my previous question.

1. Is this an Igenex Western Blot, i.e., did it include bands 31 and 34?

The reason this is relevant is because back when they were formulating the Lyme vax, they used the strains that would make 31 & 34 positive for the vax.  Which means, if the person received the vax in (I think) the 90's then they would show antibodies and therefore have a positive on Bands 31 & 34.  Now, and this is the problem with the more generic Western Blot, it does NOT show all bands, it specifically excludes these bands as to not get a false positive for people who received the vax.  It is RIDICULOUSLY behind the times because, seriously, who got the Lyme vaccine?  Definitely not me.  

So, from what I can see - you tested positive for some kind of present antibodies to a bacteria, and, judging from the ++ on band 41, the little buggers are spirochetes.  Does that make them Lyme?  Not necessarily.  But this is where the more specific Igenex test would be good for you to differentiate whether it is Lyme specific or just some other type of spirochete bacteria, kwim?  (And I know just enough to be dangerous to others and myself so if you have a LLMD, definitely do NOT listen to me.)  I had a positive at 41 just like you, but then I also had 31 & 34 (both Lyme specific) and 83/93 + - Lyme specific.  So their test helped me sort through a little more. 

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 3

If the Ig in IgG and IgM is short for Igenenx, then, yes.   :D  LabCorp is who actually ran the test.

31 and 34 are not present on the test.  I have no idea if she's an LLMD, but she seems pretty willing to learn more, and loves biochemistry, so, promising.

It's DD though, not me.  I had Lyme in high school and just don't remember much more than feeling really awful.   

Edited by CES2005