Menu

Challenging math ideas for 2nd grade

MDL

My second grade boys assessment of the school year (1st grade) was that it was too easy. Especially math. Praise the Lord! There is hope![emoji3]

So, I'm looking for some challenges for him. He is part way through MUS Beta, which has served as our spine. I have the whole LOF series, and I'm trying to encourage him to go back to that. He worked through Apples, and some Butterflies, but his brother had some toxic words that turned him off.

I also have Zaccaro's Primary Math Challenge, but since we've been using the mastery approach of MUS, he hasn't encountered many of the ideas yet. So, I have been sitting with him and explains, helping him through.

He had quite the Prodigy obsession in the spring, but it waned a bit. Probably because I felt he needed to learn some new material before progressing in Prodigy. He also loves various Dragonbox apps.

I have BA 3 and 4, which he has read. I'm waiting for 2A to come out to buy some more practice books for him.

Any other gems I'm missing for my mathy guy?

Honestly?  IMHO, MUS is not a good fit for your guy.  If he learns math readily, he will be bored with MUS.  The incremental, repetitive approach is too slow.  I used it with my math-LD kiddo for a couple of years and recently switched her out of it because it was not building enough of a conceptual framework for her.

Have you considered Singapore?  Or another conceptually strong math program?  

• Like 3

Thanks, sweet pea

After I typed it all out, I wondered if he shouldn't be in something different, maybe Saxon?

He has been HSing since the beginning, and used MUS early to "do school" like his big brother. I've been using it in 1st, as I've had it on hand, leftover.

I guess I'll research a bit on switching it up entirely for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After I typed it all out, I wondered if he shouldn't be in something different, maybe Saxon?

NOOOOOO!!  Saxon would kill my mathy kids.

I agree completely that MUS probably isn't the best fit.  I would be looking at Singapore Primary Math, Math in Focus, Math Mammoth, Miquon, or MEP.

My oldest just finished 2nd grade.  His spine is Math Mammoth...it is a great curriculum for mathy kids, because it is easy to accelerate; DS is currently working on level 5b.  For added challenge, he does Beast Academy, Singapore Challenging Word Problems, Zaccaro, Balance Benders, various logic puzzles and Hands on Equations.

For reinforcement, he does Xtramath, Prodigy, and the Dragonbox apps.

Wendy

• Like 5

I liked MUS as a gentle introduction for my kiddos that were too young to really sit for Singapore.  But after that?  It's just TOO mastery, lol.  

Wendy had some great ideas.  I don't know anything about Saxon.  I can tell you that Singapore is solid.  I love it and my kids do very well with it.  Plus, it's easy to make adjustments based on your child's needs.  Got an accelerated learner?  Add in some Intensive Practice.  Got a kiddo that needs more help?  Add in the Extra Practice.  

It's problem-solving approach is top-notch, too.  

One more thing...if you choose Math Mammoth, Homeschool Buyer's Co-Op ALWAYS has it on sale.  I bought the entire series (every single book for every grade, plus their extra books) for a very low price...can't remember now what it was...less than $200 though.  

The downside to Math Mammoth, imo, is that it's digital. You can print it just fine, and that works for some folks...but I need a HIG to guide my instruction and MM doesn't have that.  The teaching is all on the work page.  

The downside to Math Mammoth, imo, is that it's digital. You can print it just fine, and that works for some folks...but I need a HIG to guide my instruction and MM doesn't have that.  The teaching is all on the work page.  

To clarify, Math Mammoth can be purchased digitally or in hard copy.  Rainbow Resource sells Math Mammoth in either black and white or color.  They are currently (through tomorrow) running a 20% off sale on Math Mammoth.

Wendy

• Like 1

Just throwing in another voice of support for heading toward one of the more conceptual programs as a base - Math Mammoth, Singapore, etc, that Wendy listed out.

To the original question of what other resources are out there for mathy kids:

- Borac

- Penrose the Mathematical Cat

- Time-Life I Love Math series (out of print, but generally available cheaply used)

- Highlights MathMania

- participating in Math Kangaroo

- Zeus on the Loose (card game that requires adding/subtracting mentally within 100)

- Shut the Box or Double Shutter games

• Like 3

Another voice to say that MUS is probably not challenging enough for a mathy kid and that Saxon is probably too much practice and drill for a mathy kid. I love MEP, which is a great option, but MM and Singapore are other good ones.

In addition to the good enrichment ideas Jackie just posted, the pinned "relaxed math" thread on the General Ed board is packed with ideas for math games, living math books, and math supplements. The thread is "relaxed" math, but it might also be termed "outside the curriculum" math. Plenty of it is challenging and many things listed are good for 2nd grade.

• Like 2