Menu

Opinions/Experience using Abeka's Themes In Literature?

What is your opinion of Abeka Themes in Literature?  I'm thinking of using it for my rising 9th grader this year, I know you're probably not a fan of "reading/using" snippets of literature, but I was thinking of using this in order to really concentrate on math this year with him. 

Edited by mama25angels

No personal experience with Abeka's Themes in Literature, so no opinion to share from actual use... BUT: I did go and look at it, so I can give some general impressions/thoughts, FWIW. ;)

In general, I think a formal/structured Lit. program can absolutely be a great way to go. Textbook-based Lit. programs (such as Bob Jones, Scott Foresman, K-12, Pearson, etc.) are good about covering a wide variety of types of literature (novels, short stories, poetry, essays, plays, etc.), and they are good at providing background info on the author/times. And best of all, they contain great teaching information on topics in literature, literary elements, and literary analysis.

As far as "reading/using snippets" -- as long as that's not ALL you ever do for Literature, excerpts can be fine. We have been known to use just excerpts from some longer works rather than read the whole thing. We have even used a few abridged prose versions of longer works in poetic epic form, when we did not have time for the entire work in translation (and after we *had* done a few full translations of *other* epics already). It's fine to sometimes use excerpts for just "general exposure" or for focus on learning about literary elements or literature topics. It can also be fine to watch a few good film versions of classic works of Literature, if short on time and wanting exposure to characters and storylines that are referenced in our culture.

However, I would suggest that if the entire Lit. program is based on excerpts, then one option would be to drop 1-2 units of the program, and take the time to read some of the works in their entirety and dig deeper with an individual lit. guide for that work. 

As I said, I have no personal experience with Abeka's Themes in Literature, so I just now went and looked at the table of contents and sample pages. The textbook has 11 units, with each unit using works that in some way touch on the overall Christian theme for that unit, such as "truth & wisdom", "courage", or "humility". It looks like the program is mostly short stories and poetry, a few songs, and a number of excerpts from:

- essays, speeches, and Bible passages

- chapter excerpts from several non-fiction works of apologetics, and autobiographies

- chapter excerpts from several novels/classics (Wind in the Willows, Great Expectations, Jane Eyre, Paradise Lost, Pilgrim's Progress, Tom Sawyer)

It looks like the student text reproduces the piece of Literature (or excerpt), and after the text, has a "check your reading speed (words per minute)" chart, and then several discussion questions with 1-2 questions guiding the discussion to comparison with God's character and Biblical ideas. Then the quizzes/tests booklet has comprehension and factual questions about what happened in the work and about the author. I can't see sample pages of the Teacher Guide, but the description says that the TG contains the student text and answers to the questions.

(A quick aside: JMO, but "reading speed" has absolutely NO place in a Literature program. It's not about how fast or slow you read, but digging into the work to see how it's put together, and all the depth, complexity, themes, and "big ideas" that are in the work -- timing and charting "speed" is much more likely to throw out the window all of a student's critical thinking and ability to analyze/discuss   :eek:)

From what I can see, the Abeka program focuses heavily on Christian works, and on drawing Christian themes/lessons from the Literature. It seems to have the goal of specifically guiding the student to look for Christian moral teachings in the Literature. There appears to be no teaching of literature topics, or of literary elements and literary analysis -- the *how* to look deeper and think deeper about literature.

Most Literature programs are about that second goal -- teaching literature topics, literary elements, and literary analysis. The implied (not usually directly stated) *reason* for digging deeper into the literature is to be able to learn from or be challenged by the experiences, choices, and insights from the characters, and authors -- or to wrestle with the ideas presented in the literature and help you to think through your own choices and views and to see personal applications from the literature.

At least, this is the goal that is important to *me* in doing Literature in high school. ;) I do think this goal can be done with a program that uses complete works and excerpts. But I think it would be difficult to train the student in analysis and thinking deeply about Literature (and from there, about life), with Abeka's Themes in Literature, as I don't see the support and teaching material in Abeka that would help move towards this goal. For students who are good at intuiting those bigger purposes from the kinds of questions Abeka provides about the literature, then this program will work to help them think deeper about literature. However, just my experience with my own DSs and with the students I've had in my Lit. co-op classes is that the types of questions, esp. in the quiz/test book, would be much more likely to promote more of a "regurgitate without thinking" type of response from students.

You mention needing something lighter for Literature in 9th grade so that you can concentrate on Math. I think there are several ways you could do that, and still move forward with learning about Literature and literary analysis. For example:

Bob Jones' Fundamentals of Literature is that publisher's grade 9 Lit. program. It is Christian and textbook based, and similar to Abeka's Themes in Literature, the program uses short works and excerpts in novels, short stories, poetry, essays, and even a little art analysis. The program has, 6 units, focusing on the literary elements of: conflict, character, theme, point of view, structure, tone. The works are reprinted within the text, and there are discussion questions and teaching text about the literary elements, topics in literature, and background info on the author/times. It looks like a very solid program and will provide a good foundation for future Literature studies.

You could make it a lighter program by either:

- only do about 1/2 to 2/3 of the works covered

- or, spread the program out over 1.5 to 2 years

Another lighter Lit. option that would provide solid literature teaching would be to do the 1 semester Windows to the World program (which focuses on 6 short stories) and stretch it out over the full year of 9th grade, and also read 4 novels (1 per quarter) just for fun or exposure -- don't worry about analyzing them or discussing them.

An unusual Lit option that would be a good "stepping stone" program into learning how to analyze literature -- by watching and analyzing movies. The Movies as Literature program could work well for you to move forward while having more time to concentrate on Math.

If your DS is a fan of Christian author JRR Tolkien's trilogy, the Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings year-long study would be a good one. You could lighten the program by dropping the fill-in-the-blanks vocabulary and comprehension questions, and focus on the chapter notes and discussion questions after the chapter notes, and then the 12 units of material on go-along literature topics. The program is designed to be done largely independently by the student, so it is easy to schedule it around spending a lot of time on Math.

- program overview

- sample lessons

- table of contents

And a final lighter Lit option would be to select 6 works of high interest to your DS (so spending about 6 weeks per work), and get a solid, meaty lit. guide to go with each. Examples:

- The Hobbit -- and Garlic Press guide (secular, but meaty)

- The Giver -- and Garlic Press guide (secular, but meaty)

- To Kill a Mockingbird -- and Garlic Press guide (secular, but meaty)

Also check out literature choices for guides from:

Progeny Press (Christian)

- Glencoe Literature Library (secular)

However, in the end, it's all about *your* family's needs and goals. :) If Abeka's Themes in Literature fits your student's learning style, your teaching style, and your overall needs/goals for Lit. in 9th grade -- go for it! :)

Hope others with actual experience with Abeka's Themes in Literature will post so that you'll have a better idea of how the program would fit for your family. And, BEST of luck, whatever you decide. Warmest regards, Lori D.

PS

To get more responses, you might change your subject title to something like "Opinions/Experiences with Abeka's Themes in Literature?" :)

Edited by Lori D.

I changed the title of the thread for more responses, thank you so much for taking the time to respond in such detail.  I did look at my TG and it appears to be the CLP TG.  I will be looking into the other programs you mentioned in your post.

Edited by mama25angels
  • Like 1

I briefly taught high school English in a Christian school using the Abeka curriculum.  I thought that the literature was poor at best.  I looked up the table of contents because I couldn't remember what was in that book.  My opinion of the book is that there is not much that is memorable and a whole lot of bits and pieces that don't go together very well.

Honestly, even with doing a light literature year, I would choose something else.  

I agree that it is not very engaging and the questions are just comprehension questions. The exams are just more comprehension questions. There is no literary analysis that I can remember. We dropped Abeka after that and use Excellence in Literature with whole books, picking and choosing according to our needs.