Menu

Anyone use Beautiful Feet for Middle School??

Davina

I am still investigating different ideas for Early American/World History. This seems to be one that would cover both. Am I right?

I am really torn between just doing our own thing TWTM way or going with something a little more structured.

Anyone use BF for middle school? What are the pros and cons?

I am terrible when I have too rigid a schedule. I feel pressured to complete the next thing. It seems like this might have a little breathing room in it. Is this the case? On the other hand the scheduled literature seems light. Am I missing something?

I am trying to decide between using a spine like SOTW/K12HO and adding in extra historical literature with some sort of written output due each week, or following something like BF. What would you say the benefit of using a guide like this is?

Chelli: I was looking at the Early American/World History guide. Can I ask why you went with the Early American History Intermediate instead? I have a rising 7th grader who is a strong reader and writer and a 6th/5th grader who is slightly delayed in these areas. So I am trying to find something that I can tailor to both their needs.

Would I be reading these books aloud to them? OR are they responsible for their own reading?

Edited by Davina

We did all the reading independently. We did not do all of the questions in writing. Often we just used the questions as a guide and discussed it orally. Writing assignments and projects were mostly done as presented in the guide but we also went off on our own on occasion. I am not a "totally by the book " kind of a person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've found the overall BF reading to be pretty light for kids who are used to more classical methods. Definitely go up instead of down if you're choosing between levels.  I did use one for an 8th grader.  The high school version worked well for her, but we ended up just reading the books on our own schedule by the end of the year.

• Like 1

I've found the overall BF reading to be pretty light for kids who are used to more classical methods. Definitely go up instead of down if you're choosing between levels.  I did use one for an 8th grader.  The high school version worked well for her, but we ended up just reading the books on our own schedule by the end of the year.

This is the impression I got. I am afraid I would have to change it so much that it wouldn't be worth it, kwim?

I have seriously spent more time and energy researching possible ways that I will not have to make up my own thing that I could have it done by now! LOL

I just purchased an old copy of the History of Classical Music that I will be using with a middle schooler next year.  I am going to try the geography program with all my kids this summer, but this will be my first experience with BF study guides.  

We have used many of their book selections.  One caution on Beautiful Feet is that they have a more Providential view of history, although I hear they have possibly toned it down some.  I didn't care for their lesson plans as much as a result.  Plus they seemed more like asking a few questions and note booking, which I could do on my own.

We've used Classical Music, Horses, and Early American History. We enjoyed the book selections and followed the schedule, but  used the questions for oral discussions instead of writing each one down. Both Classical Music & American  History would be great for middle school. 

I just realized that I gave wrong information about what levels we used. We used the middle school level guides for upper elementary and the high school ones for middle school level. I did not use them in high school but did straight TWTM method for that.

I got all of our guides used and got the books from the library. It was very economical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk