Menu

Maine/PEI

3girls4me

Hi ladies

I started a thread a few months ago about traveling to Prince Edward Island but the time of year we are going has changed and we are also adding more time in Maine, so I thought I'd ask again.

Our tentative plan is to fly to Maine mid to end of July. We'd have about 5 days there and then plan to go to PEI after that for about 3-4 days. Here's what we would like:

- spend a day or two in Acadia

- good restaurants (plenty of them)

- maybe rafting or kayaking

- little town to walk around in

- near a beach

- cabin or house, not hotel or B&B

In PEI - would love the same things, adding in the Anne of Green Gables stuff 😊

Anyone want to help me plan? I've almost ditched the idea because I don't know where to start, but I'm giving the planning a go one more time!!

Thanks!!

• Like 1

Acadia / Bar Harbor can meet all your things listed for Maine--but you need to book your rental NOW.  Lodging around MDI (the island that Bar Harbor is on) fill up very fast.  Plan for (at least) two days in Acadia; one day to see Otter Cliffs, Thunderhole, etc, and another day to hike the carriage trails or bike or ___.    Bar Harbor is great little town for walking and eating.  Lots of places to poke around, not just Main Street and Cottage Street. 

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

Acadia / Bar Harbor can meet all your things listed for Maine--but you need to book your rental NOW. Lodging around MDI (the island that Bar Harbor is on) fill up very fast. Plan for (at least) two days in Acadia; one day to see Otter Cliffs, Thunderhole, etc, and another day to hike the carriage trails or bike or ___. Bar Harbor is great little town for walking and eating. Lots of places to poke around, not just Main Street and Cottage Street.

Thanks. That was a location I had looked at briefly. Good to know more about it. It's so hard to find a house and know it's in the right spot. Hopefully we can book soon before they are all taken 😊

I would try to find something on MDI; there is one road to get on the island, and there are plans for construction (widening the road) this summer.  So, it would probably be best, time and traffic wise, to be on the island, if you can.  Here are the names of towns on MDI (according to google):

Towns and villages

There are four towns on Mount Desert Island:[8]

• Bar Harbor, with the villages of Eden, Hulls Cove, Salisbury Cove, and Town Hill;
  • Mount Desert, with the villages of Hall's Quarry, Northeast Harbor, Otter Creek, Pretty Marsh, Seal Harbor, and Somesville;
  • Southwest Harbor, with the villages of Manset and Seawall;
  • Tremont, with the villages of Bass Harbor, Bernard, Gotts Island, Seal Cove, and West Tremont.

ETA:  DH just informed me that it is Rt. 3 *on* the island that is being widened…not the main road coming off the bridge from Trenton.  

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

<p>

I would try to find something on MDI; there is one road to get on the island, and there are plans for construction (widening the road) this summer. So, it would probably be best, time and traffic wise, to be on the island, if you can. Here are the names of towns on MDI (according to google):

Towns and villages

There are four towns on Mount Desert Island:[8]

• Bar Harbor, with the villages of Eden, Hulls Cove, Salisbury Cove, and Town Hill;
  • Mount Desert, with the villages of Hall's Quarry, Northeast Harbor, Otter Creek, Pretty Marsh, Seal Harbor, and Somesville;
  • Southwest Harbor, with the villages of Manset and Seawall;
  • Tremont, with the villages of Bass Harbor, Bernard, Gotts Island, Seal Cove, and West Tremont.

Thanks!!

End of July is high season here, so finding a house might be difficult and/or expensive. If you want to see Acadia and aren't having luck on MDI, you might look at Ellsworth, Bucksport, or even Bangor area if you don't mind a short drive in to the park. If you are also interested in other areas in Maine, let me know what you have in mind and I might be able to make some suggestions. It is definitely getting late to plan for rentals, though.

On PEI we like the southeastern area, but that's pretty far from Cavendish (Anne of Green Gables land). The entire island is beautiful though; again, if you are looking for specifics I might be able to help. Charlottetown makes a good base; otherwise the island is very rural.

• Like 1

End of July is high season here, so finding a house might be difficult and/or expensive. If you want to see Acadia and aren't having luck on MDI, you might look at Ellsworth, Bucksport, or even Bangor area if you don't mind a short drive in to the park. If you are also interested in other areas in Maine, let me know what you have in mind and I might be able to make some suggestions. It is definitely getting late to plan for rentals, though.

On PEI we like the southeastern area, but that's pretty far from Cavendish (Anne of Green Gables land). The entire island is beautiful though; again, if you are looking for specifics I might be able to help. Charlottetown makes a good base; otherwise the island is very rural.

What would be your suggestion for best time to visit?

September/October is a great time to visit Maine--still warm enough to enjoy the outdoors, no crowds (since everyone has gone back to school and work). Most seasonal places close by Columbus Day.

Thanks! I'll see if that opens things up a bit more.

However, I may have just found a place in both Maine and Charlottetown. End of July through early August. Is it just as fun then?

Thanks! I'll see if that opens things up a bit more.

However, I may have just found a place in both Maine and Charlottetown. End of July through early August. Is it just as fun then?

Yes, July and August are great too.  Just more crowded. :)   Summer in Maine, especially costal Maine, is a slice of fabulous.  But I do admit to being biased.  ;)

Hope your rentals work out! 

• Like 1

My husband just mentioned that he heard that a lot of the cruise ships show up in Bar Harbor in the summer and tons of people crowd in the area. Has this been your experience? If so, are there certain times to avoid? We definitely don't want to be in the middle of all of that.

My husband just mentioned that he heard that a lot of the cruise ships show up in Bar Harbor in the summer and tons of people crowd in the area. Has this been your experience? If so, are there certain times to avoid? We definitely don't want to be in the middle of all of that.

Yes, you can count on it that time of year. But the cruise ships are probably smaller than what you are envisioning (although they do tower over Bar Harbor and Portland too) and for the most part the crowds stick to town, not so much the park.

Honestly, that time of year is great--it's high season for a reason. The water should be warm enough to swim (check out Sand Beach in Acadia), the bugs aren't bad (except ticks), and everything is open. We've been to Acadia on the very busiest weekends in summer and have never felt crowded; that's especially true once you get on the trails. You'll love it! :)

What would be your suggestion for best time to visit?

When you are planning is perfect. Fall is gorgeous, but the days get short and everything shuts down for the year. Plus, the water will still be warm enough for swimming. PEI beaches are incredible. :)

Edited by MEmama