Menu

Which Writing with Skill after 4 years of IEW?

With my eldest daughter (9th, in high school), we did IEW theme books for 4-6th, LTOW 7th, and IEW Windows to the World for 8th (lit analysis, offered at co-op). 

However, I feel that she would have benefited from more explicit instruction in a few things like formal outlining, notetaking, in-source citation, writing analysis essays across academic fields.  

So, as my second child approaches 7th, I'm considering a different approach to avoid these gaps.  

He's done 4 years of IEW (ATFF, SWI-A, two level B history theme books).  This year, he has done IEW Medieval very independently (papers shared in a group).  

He doesn't hesitate to write or revise his paper.  

So I'm thinking of having him  WWS2 next (for 7th).  It seems as if WWS2 covers those skills my daughter lacked.  I'd start with WWS1, but it looks as if many of those skills were covered in the years of IEW.  Maybe I'm wrong and I should do WWS1?  Thoughts?  

Hive wisdom appreciated...  

Edited by amy in ks

Thanks! Your 7th grade line up looks amazing! It looks like you went from there to WHA FOEW. Was that a good transition? My high schooler is at Wilson Hiill and she loves it. We may be headed there for my 7th grader as well. What did you think of the DO math class? I was looking at that as well...

Edited by amy in ks

Thanks! Your 7th grade line up looks amazing! It looks like you went from there to WHA FOEW. Was that a good transition? My high schooler is there and she loves it. We may be headed there for my 7th grader as well. What did you think of the DO math class? I was looking at that as well...

Next year is 7th for my DD. Yes, we're planning to transition to WHA's FOEW, but are very disappointed to learn the beloved Mrs. Lange won't be teaching it. I still really love the syllabus, so we'll stick with it. DO was great this year. I'm having my DD repeat Algebra 1 at WHA just because she's young and I want to ensure she has a rock-solid foundation before moving on. I'm toy-ing with the idea of enrolling her in geometry, too, but will likely stick with just an easy geometry introduction at home (using Key to...).
  • Like 1

Mrs. Lange is going to be teaching a high school level course on Lit Analysis.  My daughter's hoping to take that her Junior year. 

FYI--My daughter's been very happy with Geometry at WHA!  It's really the first time my daughter has truly enjoyed math.  Mrs. Smith is a great teacher!  

She also loves Honors Comp and GC 1+4.  Chemistry isn't her favorite, but she's learned a lot.  

Edited by amy in ks
  • Like 1

Mrs. Lange is going to be teaching a high school level course on Lit Analysis. My daughter's hoping to take that her Junior year.

Mrs. Lange is opening her own online academy and won't be with WHA after this year. I agree that she is fantastic.

I have one with her and one in Mrs. Baker's class. Their style, pace, organization, and classroom management are completely different.

BTW, on the original topic, WWS 2 should be fine, although there might be a few things that will be review and a few that will be rough in the transition. The styles and goals of the two programs are so different!

• Like 1

I am the absolute last person to ask about writing!  :lol:  With my non-natural writers, I outsource. With my natural writer(s), well, I'll let you know in a few years!  :crying:

I'd check the Master List of Online Classes & poke around to see if anything seems good. Big River Academy has a LOT of choices for middle grades, depending on what you want. Bright Ideas Press has some new live classes with teachers that used to be with Landry. It looks like it starts to use IEW stuff in their English C level. 

There's always The Potter School, Coram Deo (maybe Intro to Essay Writing?), Excelsior, or .... or CLRC? I'm sure WHA's FOEW will be just fine with another teacher. (I recommend waiting on FOEW until 8th unless your student is a strong writer just because I think it is a tough class. But, maybe it will be easier with a different teacher. Mrs. Lange pushes the kids & expects a lot from them!)

Then again, if you are confident teaching it, why not use WWS2? 

Sad to hear Mrs. Lange is leaving and her new class is twice as much . . .

Do you have a suggestion other than wws2, RootAnn? My son's requested something other than IEW next year...

The pricing is 😱, twice as much as everywhere else. There is no way I can justify doubling the cost given so many choices. Too bad. Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 1