Menu

if you have used BJU geometry distance learning please advise!

How long did it take for your student to watch the video lesson AND complete the assignment?

I ordered this and today was day 1 for my ds. (We do school year round.)  I was surprised to see the first "lesson" is 45 minutes of how to use the IRU controller for the discontinued Home Stat option.  If you have used BJU Geometry Distance Learning, do all/most of the videos have a lot of "classroom" time where the teacher answers called in questions and is talking to students?  I have used several BJU dvds in the past and we have never encountered this issue.  It seems like it could waste a lot of time.  Did your student watch the entire 45 minutes of each lesson?  How long did it usually take your student to complete their assignment after they watched the video?  I am suddenly unsure if this program is what we want to do this year.  I confess I am very disappointed to see the video was made for Home Stat.  This was not obvious when I watched the sample of the class on the BJU website.  I feel like I paid for on old, out-dated video product that is going to waste time with each lesson with students calling in and asking questions that my student doesn't need answered.  If you have used this product, can you tell me a little more about what to expect?  

• Like 1

I have never used geometry but did use algebra 1 for one of my kids. It did not have a home sat video at the beginning . How disappointing.

It is probably due for an update . I'm sure the teaching is very solid, but it is a little off setting about the date of it. Sorry. :(

• Like 1

I haven't used the geometry, but we tried algebra 1 with the DVDs. The videos were long and boring, and the lessons were long and hard. I'm talking 2 hours + a day. Way too long. We dropped it.

Ugg. This makes me soooo sad! The materials just arrived last week so we can return it, but the sample online looked so great I didn't research other programs 😕. I really want a video course. Any suggestions???

• Like 2

Ugg. This makes me soooo sad! The materials just arrived last week so we can return it, but the sample online looked so great I didn't research other programs 😕. I really want a video course. Any suggestions???

I would still give it a try!

You could spread it out. Example: have your kiddo watch the video and do the problems he does with them on day 1 and then on day two, finish the rest of the problems.

This way it would not seem so overwhelming :)

Edited by Peacefulisle
  • Like 2

Well, Derek Owens has a video course (can't see him, just the whiteboard) for geometry. With grading (by him) or self-grading for half-price.

Chalkdust has one. (If this one interests you, there is a way to do it cheaper.)

Mathwithoutborders has a DVD for geometry.

AskDr.Callahan has a DVD for geometry.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Saxon - which has several options for DVD teaching (DIVE, Art Reed).

There's a guy called Mr. D who also has a video-based math (with options for in person or online classes - or you can just do the video lessons).

There really are other video options out there!

• Like 3

OP you wrote that you really want a video course. If you do not find one that you really think you and your student will like, possibly consider the TTUISD course. We signed DD up for Geometry last August. I think they switched to the new High School Math courses, using e-books, during the first week of September. We have no experience with the e-books but I think it costs $16 per year (?) for the e-book.  I am guessing that since it is a new course, and with an e-book, there will be more stuff online than with the course DD is finishing now, which uses a traditional textbook.  If you have any interest, check it out with TTUISD on their toll free phone number or via e-mail and ask any questions you have.  TTUISD courses require an Approved Proctor for the Final Examination and the Final Exam is 25% of the grade for the semester.  You would register as a Supplemental Student, which does not require Enrollment. This is the URL for the Geometry 1A course information:

https://enroll.ttuisd.ttu.edu/catalog/CourseListing.asp?master_id=2885&master_version=1&course_area=HIGH&course_number=GEOM%201A&course_subtitle=2

ETA: TTUISD courses are Asychronous

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1