Menu

Summer Trip Ideas

mommyoffive

Where are you headed? 

I was tossing around the idea of not putting the kids in a million classes and just going on another trip after we get home from Europe.   But then I was thinking isn't everyone traveling at that time?  The places that I want to visit will probably be packed.  Right?

What places have you traveled to in Summer that are not crazy busy? 

I have a love for the national parks, but not when they are packed. 

We are going to be working our way through our library's free passes this summer. I've taken my crew all over the world, but have been horrible about exposing them to the history right here in New England. Time to remedy things.

My plan is to spend at least one day a week on day trips, and not to try to over-stay if the crowds are bad or we get tired. We seem to enjoy things better in short bursts.

• Like 2

I think as long as you don't go around July 4, they shouldn't be too crowded.

I haven't done a lot of travel stateside with my kids.  We do an international trip each year, and other than that, we are buried in work.  :)  If I had time, I'd go to all the major national parks, saving the hottest ones for the other 3 seasons.  (You do not want to do Grand Canyon in the summer!)

I think as long as you don't go around July 4, they shouldn't be too crowded.

I haven't done a lot of travel stateside with my kids.  We do an international trip each year, and other than that, we are buried in work.  :)  If I had time, I'd go to all the major national parks, saving the hottest ones for the other 3 seasons.  (You do not want to do Grand Canyon in the summer!)

For sure.  I can't imagine how hot the Grand Canyon would be.  We have already been there.  Although I would go back.  We did a road trip of 7 or so national parks in January and it was such an awesome time to go.

We are going to DC for one day (more involved than it sounds....an overnight bus ride there and back).   The gulf coast for Memorial Day (staying with my inlaws).  The gulf coast again for Labor Day.  And the Smoky Mountains for July 4th.  Evidently we really like our holidays.   :)

Even though July 4th is busy in the Smokies, it's not super packed like fall weekends.  And my dh and kids are super early people, so it's not unusual for us to be out on the trail by 6 in the morning.  We're tucked back in our campsite or cabin by 4pm, and they don't want to leave again (I force it for fireworks ont eh 4th, but they would skip that if I didn't make it a thing).  That early schedule seems contrary to everyone else in the world on vacation, so we don't notice the crowds quite so much.

Edited by Zinnia

The Eclipse is Aug 21st.  We're going to do a trip incorporating that - not sure yet totally where.  We'll be packing our tent (expecting to camp remotely, not a campground) and watching the weather reports.

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/best-places-to-view/

I've never seen a full eclipse, so it's top of our bucket list at the moment, hopefully followed by Jordan/Petra in the late fall.