Menu

Kinetic physics - First Person vs Conceptual?

Can anyone explain the differences between these two? Most old threads recommend Conceptual Physics (alg based in spite of it's title), which is still available. They've replaced it with First Person Physics, which does have a fair amount of math in it according to the video sampler thing. The website doesn't call FPP alg based but says it covers some AP topics for advanced students. The next level is Principles of Physics which is alg based and AP 1-2 prep; we're not ready for that.

And while I'm here, I just need to buy a student license, right? I thought they used to have a homeschool specific version but I'm not seeing it.

Fwiw this is for a rising 9th grader.  He will be about 2/3 through algebra 1 around the time we'd like to start Kinetic and has a high interest in physics.

Can anyone explain the differences between these two? Most old threads recommend Conceptual Physics (alg based in spite of it's title), which is still available. They've replaced it with First Person Physics, which does have a fair amount of math in it according to the video sampler thing. The website doesn't call FPP alg based but says it covers some AP topics for advanced students. The next level is Principles of Physics which is alg based and AP 1-2 prep; we're not ready for that.

And while I'm here, I just need to buy a student license, right? I thought they used to have a homeschool specific version but I'm not seeing it.

Fwiw this is for a rising 9th grader.  He will be about 2/3 through algebra 1 around the time we'd like to start Kinetic and has a high interest in physics.

oops misread post title sorry  - deleted

Edited by MarkT

I'm not interested in Hewitt for this particular student, and I do not mean to say the whole category of conceptual science has been replaced. :) I mean the online course from KB that comes with its own pdf textbook. On this page KB says "Conceptual Physics has been replaced by our new First Person Physics program. However, we will still continue to make additional student licenses available to those schools already using Conceptual Physics." KB's CP is alg based according to WTM boardies.

I can't find much about FPP here on the board, but plenty of older recommendations for KB's CP. Since both are available I'm curious how they're different.

Edited by SilverMoon

I would call and ask if there is a difference. I think the difference between Conceptual and Priniciples is additional chpts, not completely different content.

I posted a link on the AL board that has the complete textbook online (obviously without the interactive piece that make my kids like KB).

http://staff.davincischools.org/swallis/general%20resources/principles_of_physics.pdf

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 2

If Principles just has extra chapters maybe we should just go that way and let him work as far as he can before it runs out. I like that idea.

Calling is a good idea. I'll swear they used to have a school and homeschool version years ago. I remember nearly buying it when my rising senior was in 9th.

• Like 1