Menu

Science Advice Please!!

My brain has been mulling over science for my 11th and 9th grader too much that I'm quite clogged with information.

Please, can someone help me see clearly and throw some logical advice my way.....

Background and upcoming FYI:

11th grader is starting dual enrollment at CC in the fall.... she does not want to take Chemistry there yet (possibly waiting for first year of college or 12th grade; wants to get her feet wet first)....she is wanting to enter the dental hygiene program after first year of college. She will need high school Chemistry for fall 2017/spring 2018.... She had Environmental in 9th & Biology in 10th. Thinking ahead to A&P for 12th or CC Biology and/or Chemistry.

9th grader has taken my Ellen McHenry Elements & Carbon Chem for 8th grade this year.... she wants to go with Biology next but if dd11th takes Chemistry at home, I'd like to keep them together, study buddy or just to keep my sanity. I'm wondering if Chemistry for 9th would be okay since she isn't quite ready for difficult math....she will be taking Algebra I. 

We may just try an online science class for each of them..... or DIVE Chemistry for 11th grader to prep for CC Chem and Biology for 9th grader with online or at home. 

I thought maybe Friendly Chemistry(using with both kids & possibly some friends) but I don't know how well that will prep my 11th grader for CC..... or it could be a great way to get the basics in before CC.

Any thoughts?

THANKS in advance!

Jana

whatever Chemistry you chose, make sure to look at the math requirements.  I think you can take Algebra 1 together with Chemistry for some. 

Check scope and sequence of various programs to see if they will meet the requirements your oldest will need for dental hygiene program

• Like 1

We are planning to use Dr. Wile's new chemistry Discovering Designs in Chemistry.  I have racked my mind for over a year researching chemistry options looking at all the choices I thought good quality and affordable. For us, we needed a book written to the student, not written to the professional science teacher to translate for his/her group of students. My bandwidth limit does not allow for another online course.

This publisher also sold me a scratch and dent copy for much cheaper than the regular price.  I am very impressed with the book.

The Berean Builders website has PDF files of the table of contents and other helpful information.  For my non-science girl, the fact that this book is 100 pages shorter than the new Apologia book was positive. Also, this book has great reviews.

Good Luck as you research options!

• Like 1

I'd highly recommend Spectrum Chemistry. I think it'd be just what you want. 

Definitely second Spectrum Chemistry. The labs that are the main part are excellent in "Got it!" moment. I find myself constantly referring to this or that lab when I explain something. What I don't like about them is that at the last third of the book, they stopped explaining how to solve math problems, expecting a student to figure it out. Didn't really work for my group. So, switched back to the Zumdahl book.

There is definitely math, but it is very basic. So, if your daughter is doing Algebra 1 concurrently, it should be OK. I think if the student understands how to manipulate an algebraic equation, it should be sufficient for the 80% of the course.

As far as doing Chemistry before the Biology, it is the sequence that actually makes sense as an Advanced Biology heavily relies on knowledge of Chemistry. And that is what we decided on as well. 

• Like 1

I'd highly recommend Spectrum Chemistry. I think it'd be just what you want. 

Definitely second Spectrum Chemistry. The labs that are the main part are excellent in "Got it!" moment. I find myself constantly referring to this or that lab when I explain something. What I don't like about them is that at the last third of the book, they stopped explaining how to solve math problems, expecting a student to figure it out. Didn't really work for my group. So, switched back to the Zumdahl book.

There is definitely math, but it is very basic. So, if your daughter is doing Algebra 1 concurrently, it should be OK. I think if the student understands how to manipulate an algebraic equation, it should be sufficient for the 80% of the course.

As far as doing Chemistry before the Biology, it is the sequence that actually makes sense as an Advanced Biology heavily relies on knowledge of Chemistry. And that is what we decided on as well. 

Also, Spectrum people sell a "Bridge Math" mini course that is designed to prepare kids for the chemistry math. I've never used the math product, as my kids were all in advanced math by the time they got to spectrum (plus, I love math, so i can teach as needed). Main thing is that any decent chemistry requires a lot of basic algebra to solve equations. Unit conversions are critical -- that's the one math skill I really emphasize in my high school chem and physics classes -- gotta NAIL that. If your kid can manually (using a $3 calculator, no fancy calculators) convert, say 56 lb/sq inch to kg / sq mm . . . then you're pretty much ready for the chemistry in math. If trying to do that would make his head explode, then you need to spend the time on Bridge Math (or similar) this summer before the chemistry course. 

• Like 1

If you are worried about the math for your 9th-grade student, GCP offers a course which specializes in teaching the math necessary for Chemistry: Chemistry, 2nd. Ed. This should help with just about any Chemistry course your DCs take.

Although the title makes it sound like just a regular Chemistry course, it's not.  If you read the reviews, they state that a better name for the course would be Math for Chemistry.  It is highly reviewed, and most of the reviewers have their kids do this course in preparation for high school and college Chemistry the summer prior to entering the Chemistry classroom.

I plan to have DD do this course next summer as a refresher prior to taking her Chemistry course in 10th.  Then, in the fall, DD will take GCP's Chemistry & Our Universe: How It All Works, along with using the corresponding textbook, as we did with Joy of Science for 8th & 9th.

• Like 1